10 Backpack Essentials Every WVU Student Needs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

As we are approaching the dreaded “cold in the morning but blistering hot by afternoon” weather, every student in Morgantown should be prepared. To make it easier to combat this drastic change and anything that can happen throughout the day, here are 10 backpack essentials that every student needs. 

1) Student ID

As everyone knows, the parking here is TERRIBLE. So, pack up your ID and take public transportation.  Why pay money to park or 50 cents on the bus/PRT when you can just swipe your ID?

2) Wallet

You never know when a student org is going to be selling one of your favorite snacks, or when Garcia’s Latin Market is going to pop up outside of Martin with their glorious array of tacos. (It’s also a great place to put your ID so you know you’ll always have it.)

3) Water Bottle

Morgantown + heat + hills = thirst.

4) Umbrella

The weather can be unpredictable in Morgantown. Make sure you’re prepared for that unexpected downpour that happens as soon as you walk outside.

5) Snack

If you have class all day and don’t have time to get food somewhere, you should definitely pack a quick snack to hold you over (nothing worse than being starved in the middle of class). Even if you do have enough time, you can never go wrong with an extra bite to eat in-between classes.

6) Seasonal Accessories

It’s fall, which means the weather likes to be temperamental and have extreme differences. Therefore, you have to be prepared for the freezing mornings, insanely warm afternoons and chilly nights. You may need a cardigan and scarf in the morning, but by afternoon those will be tucked away into your backpack as you sweat your way to class.

From:

To:

7) Pens/Pencils

You will need them. Really.

8) Toiletries

Everything: Chapstick, Tide-to-Go, tampons, pads, hair ties – is a necessity. You don’t want to be that person that is always asking for them. (Or that girl running around campus looking for a tampon.)

9) Something for Sweat

Blotting sheets are perfect for those hot afternoons. The mountains you have to climb to get anywhere on campus will definitely give you a sheen, but that won’t be from the sun illuminating your highlighter.

10) Calculator/iClicker

You may hate them, but hey, if you need them for class then they are technically an essential. Unless you don’t want those attendance/question points that probably count towards your final grade.

With these essentials you’ll be able to handle anything that campus throws at you. They can save you from a trip back to the apartment/dorm, Jacs or even dehydration.

Greetings! My name is Graeson Baker and I am currently a junior PR major here at WVU. For more info about me, feel free to check out my personal website at http://www.graesonbrooke.co.
I am originally from Westchester, New York. I came to WVU for my undergrad in Strategic Communications with an emphasis on Public Relations and a minor in Sports Communication. My involvment on campus includes blogging for Her Campus, a sister of Alpha Phi, the assistant director of the media team on the Mountaineer Maniacs executive board and lastly, an athletic communications intern with the WVU Athletic Communications office. I will be graduating in May of 2017 and I am looking forward to getting started with my future career in Journalism and Public Relations!