Day in the Life: City Girl in a Pullman Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WSU chapter.

Two years ago if I was told that I would be walking in almost 2 inches of snow in Pullman, Washington, I probably wouldn’t believe it for a second. Fast forward those two years, I look out my window this morning and was blinded by the huge snowfall that took place overnight.

As a transfer beginning my sophomore year, every WSU student will tell you stories from both ends of the spectrum; the winter time can either be the worst or best occasion ever. The last winter before I arrived, it was one of longest winters they’ve seen and many people will explain that you’ll have no idea what you’re getting yourself into before it happens. When you’re a WSU freshman or freshly minted transfer, there are a few things you should know before attending WSU because the winter season is not a joke!

*Shoveling your life away*

I cannot stress the importance of rain boots, snowshoes, puffy jacket, maybe even your own personal shovel! There are two types of WSU students: those who are accustomed to this weather and those who have only seen a cm of snow in their life. I am definitely the ‘cm of snow’ transfer student who absolutely underestimated how bad this would get. Little did I know, Pullman was waiting on a perfectly executed prank from the time we left for Thanksgiving break to now.

…Boy was I wrong….

After Valentine’s Day, it was like Pullman wanted to come back for revenge for having a delayed snowfall and went full force. I keep telling my friends that I’m still in disbelief that I, a firm believer in warm weather and big cities, landed at a college in the middle of cornfields with enough snow for Antarctica. Although, I feel there’s a subtle understanding once you are a WSU student or Pullman local within the community that there is nothing alike to this winter experience. It can be either be the best or worst experience depending on how you make it, but anyone outside of our bubble would not be able to comprehend. The ice will definitely humble you once or twice, you may fall on your face or down a hill. Having to wear multiple layers of clothes to class like you are in the North Pole, only to reach class sweating profusely. Trying to process how to go out on the weekends, having to plan a certain outfit choice that will provide you warmth without looking like a marshmallow.

*Me and my friends on the way to class*

My advice for incoming students that are considering to attend Washington State University: you will find a home here and will accept the better and worst of this time. It will mold you into this very proud and persevering Coug while also being able to share comradery between other Cougs of this time.

It is definitely an experience that unites WSU students and despite the cons of the drastic climate, it’s only when you attend that you can be in on the Cougar secrets. Despite my city life comfort zone, I truly believe I will look back on this time in my later adult years and really appreciate that if I can face Pullman’s intense snowfall, then I can handle anything else in this world.

GO COUGS

Dream. Write. Manifest. Repeat. Sophomore Marketing Foodie Spotify Fanatic
I am a sophomore at Washington State University. I am getting a degree in International Business and am looking forward to a career in Non-Profit work! Be sure to check out WSU's Her Campus page!