5 Things to Know about Having your own Place

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WSU chapter.

There are many daydreams that I envisioned of what living on my own would be like. Leaving for college was the first step of this newfound freedom. There are so many expectations that I had of how the experience would turn out, sometimes I wish someone would have given me real tips on life. I wanted to know how Tupperware is your savior or the importance of DIY. What they don’t tell you is that as much as living on your own is an amazing time, it is equally taxing. People always say that with more freedom, comes more responsibilities – which I agree with. However, there are ways you can prepare in order to feel confident making decisions on your own. Here are 5 things that I wish someone told me before moving into my first home away from home.

#1 Keeping a Fridge Stocked is Harder than it Looks

If I had a penny for every time one of my family members told me that my college diet would consist of purely Top Ramen and Kraft Mac n’ Cheese cups, I would probably be a millionaire with a fully stocked fridge at all times.

All the praise should go to those with a well-stocked fridge. It is harder than it looks for sure. Especially when you’re just moving into your new place, keeping the fridge full of food is dependent on you. So if there isn’t a grocery trip made every once in a while, your stomach will be growling and condiments won’t help you. Being a college student with a small, and always fluctuating budget means some days opening your fridge door can be a relief or a disappointment. Sometimes, I would reopen my fridge expecting pre-made dinner or leftovers waiting for me, and it was a constant ‘you played yourself’ DJ Khaled moment. Learning to properly budget, meal prep, and avoiding the urge to go out to eat are real skills you will need going into your new home. There are plenty of social media platforms targeted at college students for cooking recipes that are not only cost effective, but can be spread throughout the week to save you from cooking each night.

#2 Furniture Makes or Breaks Your Place and Your Bank Account

Looking back at my first place to the one I’m in now is a drastic change in terms of the furniture and decoration. My first roommate and I were strangers before moving into our apartment, so we never coordinated how the place should look or how the atmosphere should be. It had very little furniture and nothing on the walls, and my friends would call it a “dead space” because it didn’t feel like either of us were actually living there. It’s more noticeable when I would go over to my other friends’ apartments when their L-couch fit 8 guests, whereas my roommate’s two-seater couch with a cup holder console wasn’t comfortable when we had guests. When you visit my new place now, it is like a total shift has been made because of the decorations and furniture, which make the place more inviting. I’ve found that home decorating is super fun for me to express my tastes and I’m lucky to have a new roommate who also enjoys that. Moving into your new place will be a little overwhelming since there is so much space to cover on a college student budget, but there are many options in order to accomplish your ideal apartment vibe. Most campuses including WSU have Facebook groups with ‘Buy, Sell,  and Trade’ options, or Craigslist listings that can be utilized in order to furnish your new crib without breaking the bank. I bought my dining table with four chairs included, and a microwave from other college students and spent $50 total. Try and find ways to get around splurging to get the most bang out of your buck. It is also important because if you decide to leave or want to get rid of the stuff you bought when you first moved in, the items aren’t super expensive, and they will be easier to sell later on.

#3 Treat Grocery Shopping like a Mission Impossible Movie

Returning for the new semester means there will be a huge trip to the grocery store and even more so when moving into your new place. There are so many little items that I didn’t think about needing, and it quickly adds up. Make sure to always go into the store prepped with a list. It doesn’t matter what grocery store I am at, the trip can take more than 40 minutes to figure out what I need – and actually find it – in the store. Major key: eat before you shop and take a list. I have gone shopping many times without doing either, and I come out of the store with items that I didn’t even know I needed.

As I said earlier, buy the main food groups because meal prep is a real lifesaver. Depending on your diet, a good rule of thumb is veggies, a type of carb such as rice or pasta, and if you’re a meat-eater, then a pack of meat. Be prepared to buy a ton of condiments as well; at home I was gracious enough to have a variety of salad dressings to choose from, and now I am proud of the three bottles at my place.

#4 Guests Are Rowdy, Prepare for it All

The greatest thing about living on your own is being able to have people over at your place. I envisioned so many movie nights, friend dinners, and get-togethers that I wanted to host over at my place. The experiences definitely gave me a sense of being an independent woman, and I loved having more space for my company, rather than the closed-box feeling with dorms. I wish people would have told me that sometimes when people come over they aren’t aware of their own messes. This is because they aren’t in their own place. My roommate and I had a housewarming party at our spot and there were four drink spills on our carpet by the end of the night. After tirelessly scrubbing at the carpet and discussing how we would operate in the future, we decided that larger groups of people would be too chaotic for us to handle. If you want people to take their shoes off at the door or to use only paper plates to avoid a ton of dishes, lay down the line so that you can avoid having a trashed apartment that YOU have to clean.  

#5 Keep The Peace With Your Neighbors

Newsflash: the people that used to be obnoxiously loud during the middle of the night in the dorm hallway will still be loud – if not more – when you live in your first place. My first spot was a townhouse, so noise wasn’t always an issue. But noise became more of a problem now that I have neighbors above and below me. The first bad encounter that I had with a neighbor was at the duplex I first lived in…and over what you ask? The most prime parking spot in front of our place. It became a constant episode of Parking Wars between me and my next door neighbor. When I would leave for classes, she would swoop in and park her car, only to take another mode of transportation out of pettiness. It got to the point where she reported my car for not having a permit and I received a $50 ticket because of it. I cannot stress this enough: don’t “poop” where you sleep because it will be a miserable experience to come home to. Try to keep things civil with your neighbors, especially in the case of having a party or small gathering of people. Take it from me, being mindful and respectful of reasonable noise and activity level will keep your neighbors from plotting against you.  

Overall, moving into your first place is one of the most exciting parts of life and it’s only the beginning of what adulthood has to offer. Make a ton of memories and appreciate this new sense of freedom because it will be an amazing experience to look back on.

Dream. Write. Manifest. Repeat. Sophomore Marketing Foodie Spotify Fanatic
I am a sophomore at Washington State University. I am getting a degree in International Business and am looking forward to a career in Non-Profit work! Be sure to check out WSU's Her Campus page!