yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

TV Shows You’ll “Fall” for This Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

Autumn has finally kicked in bringing its sweater weather, warm drinks, and falling leaves. Of course these aren’t the only cozy delights that the season’s brought for us. Fall’s shows on television have proven to grab viewers, hooking us and leaving us craving for more. With mysterious and spooky themes that fit right into the Halloween fever for this month, these shows are sure to keep us watching. There’s something out there for every trick or treater this season from the season four premiere of The Walking Dead to the CW’s newest show, Reign.

1. The Walking Dead

This has been The Walking Dead’s fourth season reigning on TV as one of the goriest and most addicting shows. Its apocalyptic setting with a world overwhelmed by zombies (in the show, called “walkers”) has gotten people aching for Sunday night every night. The season four premiere aired on October 13th, giving us its gory visuals and the awesome butt-kicking characters we’ve fallen back in love with. Haven’t checked it out yet? No worries. Thanks to Netflix you can catch the past TWD seasons to catch up for this Sunday’s new episode. Get ready for an endless amount of zombies and a fight-for-your-life type of Sunday.

2. The Vampire Diaries

Another show returning in all of its bloodlust and delicious splendor is The Vampire Diaries. This being its fifth season, the show is still throwing tons of surprises at viewers from every angle. With a handful of new characters including actress, Janina Gavankar (known from HBO’s True Blood) as a revengeful witch, and twists filled with the supernatural, TVD keeps us on our toes. The eye candy of its main men, Ian Somerhalder and Paul Wesley, is a plus, too. The many plots in the series include the main character, Elena, trying to be a normal college student despite being a vampire, among many more that’ll have you thirsting for what’s next like vampiric bloodlust. But be warned: these aren’t your sparkly Edward Cullen vampire types; they’ve got more edge and a whole lot of attitude.

3. American Horror Story

A warning about the vampires of The Vampire Diaries is nothing compared to what happens in American Horror Story. This show is known for its bizarre plots and cringing-inducing scenes. If you haven’t watched it yet, it will be like nothing you’ve ever seen before. The show focuses on a new theme each season; this third season focuses on a coven of young witches living at a school in New Orleans, trying to learn to control their powers to blend in with society.  There are many recognizable faces this season that act as the young witches in the coven including Emma Roberts, Gabourey Sidibe, and many more. Voodoo, magic, and horrors all bundle up this show into a fright that you’ll keep going back to watch.

4. Reign

Reign is a new show from the CW that’s quite different from anything on TV right now. Set in France during the 1500s, it follows the story of the teenaged Mary, Queen of Scots and her rise to the throne. Sounds like history dramatization on the Discovery Channel, huh? However, with a young queen and her ladies in waiting going on fun adventures and the mystery of ghostly creatures that haunt the castle, there is always something new to watch for. The season premiere started grandly with the introduction of the show already wanting viewers to know about all of the secrets Mary will find hidden behind the castle walls. Filled with desire, betrayal, passion, and some of its own otherworldly throws, Reign is proving to do just what its title claims.

5. Once Upon a Time in Wonderland

ABC’s spin-off of the similarly titled Once Upon a Time aired as a magical work of art. It has changed the idea of Alice in Wonderland into a whole new story. In this new incarnation, Alice goes off on an adventure to rescue the genie, Cyrus, she fell in love with on one of her falls down the rabbit hole. The show begins in the insane asylum to which Alice has been admitted for her stories of Wonderland (which cause her dad to think she’s crazy). This version of Wonderland is beautifully created with the help of magnificent CGI special effects. The rest you’ll just have to fall down into the rabbit hole to see. Just kidding! You can catch the episode’s premiere on Hulu to fall into the extreme world of Wonderland.

6. Pretty Little Liars

The long-awaited season for many PLL fans has finally come to a close. Pretty Little Liars, an ABC Family hit, has made itself as a top contender for the most popular TV drama ever since its 2010 debut. The four friends – Aria, Hanna, Spencer, and Emily – are on the hunt for “A” who has been causing them trouble, wreaking havoc, putting them in extreme danger, and revealing their secrets. The Halloween special of Pretty Little Liars premieres on October 22nd, igniting the return of the season. Following the Halloween special is the premiere of the show’s spin-off titled Ravenswood. It’s going to be a night filled with spooks, thrills, and a whole lot of secrets coming to light.

Photo credits go to Pinterest

A senior at William Paterson University with a English Literature major and minor in Fine Art. Victoria believes there is no limit to what you can do in life just as long as you stay positive, motivated and are happy doing so. Her creativity shines through many outlets from her lifestyle blog, articles on Her Campus and being a Beauty Director and Style Columnist at Cliché Magazine. Her success in the digital magazine and blogging world earned her the Best DIY Blogs in March 2014. Anything chocolate flavored, elephant related, and Stephen King distinguished are her absolute favorites. 
 Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"