jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Things My Best Friend Taught Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

My best friend is my person; She’s the one that keeps me going when life starts to get rough, when I feel down on myself, and even when life is going great. Without my best friend I’m not sure what I would do. Here are a few things that my best friend has taught me since I met her. 

1. To care about myself.

If there’s one thing your best friend is good at it’s making sure that you put yourself to a higher standard and they know what is good for your body, mind and soul. No one wants to see their best friend struggle physically or mentally, and when it comes down to it, your best friend is the most honest person there is. Take her advice, no matter how harsh it is, and roll with it because in the end they’re only looking out for your well-being. 

2. Never let a boy break your heart.

We’ve all cried to our best friends about that one boy breaking our hearts. The good thing is, our best friends will always listen, whether they agree or disagree. Take their advice, even if it makes you sad, because they’re the ones who want to see you happy with someone you deserve.

3. Being selfish is sometimes okay. 

Being selfish is always frowned upon and even when your best friend doesn’t understand it at the time, they will understand in the future. My best friend is always telling me to look out for myself and take care of me and that’s what I strive to do. When you’re exhausted take that nap, when you’re hungry get that food you’re craving, and when you’re annoyed with everyone, take the time that you need to be alone. Your best friend will always understand when you just want to be left alone because they’ll feel the same way at times too. 

4, Not talking to each other for a while is okay, as long as we pick right back up where we left off. 

Let’s face it, when you’re in high school you can see your best friend everyday, but after that, life gets busy with college, work and other commitments. Sometimes it’s okay to not talk to your best friend for a few days. That doesn’t mean they don’t care about you or that you’re growing apart, it just means that life is taking over and things need to get done. It’s good to take a break sometimes because it gives you something to talk about and catch up on when you do reconnect. 

5. Bailing on plans because of boyfriends is NOT okay. 

When you make plans to see your best friend after finally reconnecting after a few days, DON’T bail because you think your boyfriend is more important. Your best friend is the one who is always going to be there, through the heartbreak, tears, and happiness. So, take the day off from your boyfriend and hangout with your best friend, even if it’s a quick lunch date or wine night. Trust me, you’ll cherish those moments later in the future than just staying in and lounging around with the boyfriend you might not have in the future or the boyfriend you see everyday in the future. 

6. Success is golden, don’t ever give up because of negative influences around. 

When times get rough we tend to want to give up or find the easy way out, and that’s when our best friend’s step in and tell us we can do it. My best friend is always pushing me to succeed when I feel down on myself and without her I probably would’ve found an easier way to get things done and not have accomplished everything I have so far. You might think your best friend is trying to boss you around, but they’re not, they’re just making sure you reach your fullest potential because they believe it you. 

No matter what, your best friend is here to stay and enjoy the ride we call life with you. Keep in touch, be honest, communicate, and love one another. Cherish the moments you have because once life and reality set it, those are the moments you’ll look back on and cherish forever. 

My name is Nasia (pronounced Asia with an N). I’m 24 years old, born and raised in New Jersey. I transferred to William Paterson University, where I found my passion for Public Relations and all things social media. Joining Her Campus was the best decision I ever made. I love what I do and I love sharing what I do with others who love it just as much.
 Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"