dan gold 6P 1ba qWDI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
dan gold 6P 1ba qWDI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Story of Me and My Best Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

Around this time my freshman year I met my best friend, but I didn’t realize they were my best friend. I thought they were just a person in my classes. Little did I know how much would change in a year.

My best friend is a guy who I never thought I would talk to that much outside of class. I added him on snapchat and we started snapping, okay whatever, no big deal, just another person I won’t talk to after the semester ended he can watch my story.

Boy was I wrong.

Now to start from square one, the first time I saw this kid was in my first year seminar class. I didn’t think much of him because he clearly had a girlfriend. They seemed really happy to I wasn’t gonna intrude. Little did I know that I would feel very differently a year later.

After him and his girlfriend broke up, we started talking a lot more and started opening up to each other. I found out everything about him and he found out a lot about me. It pretty much happened in one day and from that day on nothing was the same.

We talked everyday basically from the moment we were both awake to one of us fall asleep. We have talked about basically everything and he knows me like no one else.

In all honesty this isn’t as great or easy as it sounds. Think about it, you tell a guy everything about yourself and are completely comfortable it’s kinda hard to not catch feelings. So yeah I did and pretty early on. This was for two reasons, one I catch feelings really easily and two he’s charming even when he’s not trying.

So this eventually caused issues. I’m not sure if the feelings at this point were completely mutual, but I do know he was into me I just don’t know how much. We were on two different pages and didn’t talk about this because we didn’t want to ruin our friendship we had going.

As time went one we got close and closer and I started to trust him to the point where it scared me. I never trusted someone this much and it wasn’t something I was comfortable with because I didn’t know what to do or say. I just talked until I had nothing else to say.

One day we kissed and that’s when the feelings started. We were never the same after that. 

Months go by and I started to loose feelings for him because things felt different. I didn’t like him as much. We still talked everyday and were still really close,but things were different.  But the end of the summer came and everything changed. He told me how he felt for me and how he took me for granted the past semester. He said he didn’t realize what he had until he didn’t have it anymore and that really hit me.

So I wasn’t sure if I wanted to go any farther with this kid. He is my best friend and I don’t want to ruin that, but I also wanna be happy and he makes me happy. But, just the thought of ruining our friendship was more important to me.

In the end I decided I want to be happy for a little and if that means I have to end a friendship I knew it’ll be worth it.

So here we are months later trying to be in a relationship but both being too busy to ever see each other. He still makes me happier than any other person ever has.

I guess liking your best friend isn’t so bad as long as you both know you’ll be there for the other one no matter what happens.  We went through thick and thin and I wouldn’t change it for the world. He’s my best friend and I’m beyond thankful for him. So all I have to say is thank you to my best friend for everything. 

Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"