Nerd Couture: Geek Can Be Chic!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

Recently, the world has seen the advent of a new pop culture phenom – the return of the geek. But “geek” has evolved, and it’s come a long way from pocket protectors and taped-together eyeglasses.  There’s nothing wrong with expressing your nerd fandom by wearing that Spider- Man tee or rocking a bowtie like The 11th Doctor.  But just because it’s geek doesn’t mean it can’t also be chic.

There are plenty of sources (most of which find their homes on social media sites like Tumblr) dedicated to taking fashion inspiration from popular nerd culture… or, rather, couture.  Three such sites – character-inspired-fashion and disneybound on tumblr, and nerdyfashionblog.com – put together ensembles based on characters from such nerd-doms as Lord of the Rings, Doctor Who, The Avengers, and countless others.  These style guides generally connect to sites like polyvore.com, where you can purchase the clothing pieces used and find similar items. Many of the character-inspired getups link to pieces that are similar in nature but at a much more realistic and affordable price; some even offer budget-friendly options, most of which consist of pieces that are under $100.  However, the majority of these ensembles feature clothing that is expensive.  And I’m not talking about a dress for a couple hundred bucks – more like a couple thousand.  It’s unrealistic to think that any average teenager or young adult (or even a grown adult, for that matter) would be able to afford such pieces.  But therein lies the beauty of these style guides – they are guides.  You don’t need to own those exact pieces to complete the looks; you use the ensemble as a reference to create your own unique outfit out of pieces you already own and pieces you can afford to purchase.

This ensemble inspired by Back to the Future’s Marty McFly, featured above and put together by nerdyfashionblog, is simple enough to recreate. It consists of many closet-basics: a red tee-shirt, a plaid overshirt, a pair of denim skinny jeans, and a denim jacket.  The orange puffy vest may be harder to come by.  Out of these pieces, the most expensive are the denim jeans and the orange vest, each pricing out at over $300.  But denim skinny jeans are pretty easy to find, since they’re available in department stores, well, everywhere.  The orange vest, on the other hand, may require a bit more searching.

But, hey, maybe super-couture isn’t your thing.  Maybe you want to look more “inspired by” the character.  I can dig that – and so can the folks over at nerdyfashionblog.  Chelsea Lauren, the owner of nerdyfashionblog, frequently creates looks like the Wonder Woman-inspired ensemble shown above.  This ensemble is reminiscent of Diana Prince’s alter ego without being identical to the red, gold, and blue one-piece she wears as her costume.  This outfit is formed around the red Wonder Woman tee, making the whole thing both comfortable and cute.  The red peep-toe-booties are the most expensive element here, the only piece over $30 (they’re actually $570!).  However, they are easy to replace with shoes that are a bit more affordable.  The polyvore link allows you to see similar items – ones that cost substantially less.  And if heels aren’t your thing, you could substitute a pair of cute, red flats or sneakers for a look that’s still “super.”

So, there you have it.  Whether it’s a modern-day replica of Bilbo Baggins’s attire or a look that’s more reminiscent of The Avengers’ Hulk, geek can be – and is – pretty darn chic.

Photo source: http://kaciart.tumblr.com/imag…
http://www.polyvore.com/marty_…
http://www.polyvore.com/wonder…

Christine is the Co-Founder and former Editor-in-Chief of the WPUNJ branch of Her Campus. She graduated summa cum laude in May 2015 with BAs in English Literature and Secondary Education and a minor in Creative Writing. Christine currently lives in Maryland and likes to visit Washington, DC (but a little part of her will always miss New Jersey). She loves to edit and aspires to write the great American novel... eventually. In her free time, she enjoys reading, writing, hanging out with her husband and corgi puppy, fangirling over Marvel superheroes and Rothy's shoes, and watching Netflix.