Michelle DeMartino: Student to Staff Member in the Blink of an Eye

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

Current Occupation(s): Assistant Director of Undergraduate Admissions AND Adjunct Professor within the Department of Communications

Hometown: Old Bridge, NJ

Activities on Campus: Enrollment management, social media enthusiast, and advisor for Her Campus WPUNJ

Fun Fact: I’ll be racing the Spartan Beast in April. It is a 15+ mile running/obstacle course on Mountain Creek. Aroo!

Favorite Quote: “I’m going to do what I want to do. I’m going to be who I really am. And I’m going to figure out what that is.” –Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Having recently had a chance to speak with the current and phenomenal advisor for Her Campus WPUNJ Michelle DeMartino, we got an insight into what her life is like and how she went from former Willy P student to esteemed member at her alma mater.

The Facts

HC: What college did you attend? What was your plan or course of study?

MD: I attended WPUNJ for General Biology. My braces were just removed so I enrolled in the Pre-Dental track with the intent to create smiles for the world (orthodontics). I graduated with the General Biology degree but, during my senior year, was swayed by the infamous Dr. Tina Lesher to pursue writing. After being hired by Admissions, I enrolled in the MFA in Creative and Professional Writing graduate program.

HC: What was your experience and greatest achievements in college?

MD: I experienced two worlds: one was the Biology community where my peers were future doctors and researchers, and the second world was the Admissions office crew. I mostly hung out with the latter—we lived on campus and did everything together. My favorite activity was going to the ice hockey games. I went to every home game senior year!

A memorable achievement was leading a health edition of the Pioneer Times. Dr. Lesher wrote to the Biology faculty and included a copy of the paper in each letter.

HC: What kind of extracurricular activities were you part of?

MD: I had the best on-campus job—a Student Ambassador in the Undergraduate Admissions office. We created a Volleyball and Dodgeball team at the Rec Center. We also attended shows and special events in Shea, like meeting cast members of the Real World and the Yankee’s General Manager Brian Cashman.

HC: Growing up, who would you say was your role model?

MD: My parents, for sure. In high school, I had three jobs. In college, I had four. My mother stressed that the only person I should ever rely on is myself. She taught me how to save and carefully spend my money. At the age of 26, I became a single homeowner.

HC: What motivates you?

MD: We only live once. I want to do everything I can while I, well, can. I am my best self today.

All About WPUNJ

HC: Having attended William Paterson as a student, what is one of the major differences you’ve noticed between being a student and an employee?

MD: As a student, one questions University policies and decision-making. As an employee, I see every policy and decision is created with the students’ best interest, safety, and satisfaction in mind.

HC: What do you love about working at WPUNJ?

MD: Watching students become young adults and having that ‘ah-ha’ moment. It’s cool to see students realize their calling.

HC: Why did you choose to work in admissions?

MD: Admissions chose me! I got my diploma, walked off the stage and went right into the Admissions office. Hashtag blessed.

HC: Besides working in the admissions office, what other kind of responsibilities do you have at William Paterson? 

MD: I adjunct within the Department of Communication and First-Year Experience. I’m also part of the University’s social media workgroup. That workgroup is everything and more.

HC: What kind of advice would you give someone applying to the college?

MD: Adhere to deadlines, research outside scholarships, and complete the FAFSA as soon as your parents/guardians file their taxes.

HC: If you could change one thing about William Paterson, what would it be?

MD: I’d like a Dunkin’ Donuts in the Student Center, please.

HC: What do you hope to accomplish on campus in the next year?

MD: I’d like to see my Strategic Writing students gain traction with their virtual brands.

HC: Being extremely involved on campus, what kind of activities do you enjoy in your down time? 

MD: Reading, working out (so I can eat pizza), and watching anything with Leonardo DiCaprio.

Valissa Hicks is a senior at WPUNJ, currently majoring in communications, with an emphasis on public relations and minoring in professional sales. She is graduating in Spring 2016 and cannot wait to start her professional career!  Her ultimate career goal is to be an event planner/coordinator for major corporations or possibly work under major event planners in NYC. Being a huge sports lover and a die hard Giants and Devils fan, she would love to experience something in that area as well. Traveling the world and understanding people better is something she hopes to accomplish as well. She is up for any challenge that comes her way and is always happy to help a person in need. Currently residing in Rockland County, NY with her grandparents, Scout (her puppy), her older brother and sister. She loves reading, fashion, makeup and food! Cooking and baking are an integrate part of her life and loves creating new recipes for her friends and family to try. 
 Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"