Melissa Zolla: Student Ambassador to Admissions Counselor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

Current Occupation: Undergraduate Admissions Counselor

Hometown: Lake Hiawatha

Activities on Campus: During undergrad I was on SGA, an Orientation Leader, co-editor of the yearbook, and sister of Theta Phi Alpha

Fun Fact: I’ve visited 25 different college campuses in a year and a half

Favorite Quote: “You live but once; might as well be amusing.” – Coco Chanel

The Facts

HC: What college did you attend and what was your course of study?

MZ: I attended WPU studying Biology and Secondary Education.

HC: What are your greatest achievements and memories from college?

MZ: I’ve held many positions in Theta Phi Alpha, and I wouldn’t give up any of those memories with my sisters.

HC: What kind of extra-curricular activities were you a part of?

MZ: During undergrad I was on SGA, an Orientation Leader, co-editor of the yearbook, and sister of Theta Phi Alpha

HC: Growing up, who would you say had the most influence on you?

MZ: My grandpa; he was always stopping to talk to people, even if he didn’t know them, and this influenced me to be outgoing. He could talk to everyone and anyone about anything, and I was always with him during these excursions around town which definitely impacted me.

HC: What motivates you?

MZ: Helping others and making things better than when I first started.

Switching Roles

HC: You worked for your sorority and did a lot of traveling! Tell me about how that experience was.

MZ: It was amazing. I was able to meet so many women from across the country who share the same values but may come from very different backgrounds. No matter where I went, I always felt at home, and I credit that a lot to what it truly means to be a Theta Phi.

HC: How has the transition from traveling to living back in New Jersey been?

MZ: I’ve missed New Jersey so much while traveling. For starters, it’s hard to get a good bagel or pizza when you’re not in the tri-state area. But I never realized how lucky we are to live out here. So many women I met had never been to the ocean or to New York City, which I think is something we all might take for granted.

HC: You got to experience the complete package of admissions from being a prospective student, to being a student ambassador and now an admissions counselor. How has that transitional phase helped you in your new job?

MZ: It honestly makes my job so much easier. I obviously chose WPU for a reason, and I now have the opportunity to share that with prospective students. Not only do I have the opportunity to talk to prospective students about the great things about WPU, I can talk to them first hand about what it’s like to be a Pioneer.

HC: If you could travel back in time and give yourself a piece of advice what year would you choose and what would you say?

MZ: I would probably go back to the end of my senior year in high school to tell myself to truly embrace everything that college has to offer. Even though I did a lot during my undergraduate years, there are some instances where I could have given more effort or stayed up a little later because those are precious times that will never be the same in the future.

HC: If you could change one thing about William Paterson, what would that be?

MZ: I think we could always use a little more Pioneer pride. It’s gotten much bigger in the last few years, but there’s always room for more!

HC: Let us get to know you! What do you like to do during your spare time?

MZ: I enjoy relaxing at home, mostly watching something on Netflix or spending time with family and friends. 

Megan Galema is a senior at William Paterson University in Wayne, NJ. She is a double major in Print Journalism and Public Relations. She was appointed the development manager and managing editor of Her Campus WPUNJ, where she gets to work hands on with the new members of the chapter. Megan began as a contributing writer since it first launched in March 2013. She also works for Undergraduate Admissions at WPUNJ as the special tour coordinator and writes for The Pioneer Times. Megan is also a contributing writer for an online music magazine, EDGE, that highlights local bands, charity organizations and up and coming photographers.  
 Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"