March’s Fashionista of the Month Spills Her Style Secrets!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

Xiana Gutierrez, March’s Fashionista of the Month, shares her favorite fashions, trends and inspirations. 

HC: How long does it take you to pick out an outfit?

XG: It really depends on the occasion as well as the weather.  So many girls will wear clothes that show off their “assets” but leave them with pneumonia… and possibly an STD. For class, it takes about 5-10 minutes. Going out takes maybe 15-20.  Then there’s those days I can get a great fit together in 10 seconds – it all varies.  You’ve got to remember that although we can imagine something to look awesome, it doesn’t always look that good on you. 

HC: How many pairs of shoes do you own?

XG: I would say at least 50.  Shoes are a slight addiction of mine.  They truly complete the look of an outfit.  They can take an outfit from “I was in a rush” to “I knew this would look great together.”

HC: Whose your fashion icon? Why? 

XG: Hmmm… that’s a hard one.  I love Rihanna’s ability to go from grunge to classy, and everything in between.  I love Beyonce’s wild prints.  I love the style of the 90’s – high-wasted jeans, flannels, girls wearing loose fitting jeans, etc.  I don’t think I can really narrow my fashion icon to one because I’m influenced by everything.

HC: What is your favorite fashion magazine to reference? 

XG: Truth be told, I rarely reference magazines for fashion.  I’m usually browsing tumblr, Instagram and other social networks for inspiration.  When I do have a chance to look at a magazine, it’s usually Nylon. 

HC: Where do you shop? 

XG: I live by the thrift store.  I love the vintage look and think it’s awesome to incorporate with current trends.  Mandee is another favorite – lots of trendy, inexpensive clothes.  I like to shop online as well because it’s a little bit more exclusive. Karma loop, plndr, and jewel mint are all great online stores.

HC: Best accessory in addition to an amazing outfit?

XG: I love a statement necklace.  It really can make an outfit complete.  A statement necklace can take a little black dress to an elegant ensemble.

HC: Who is your favorite designer?

XG: My favorite designer at the moment is Diane Von Furstenberg.  Based off of her collection for fashion week, she’s incorporating a lot more bold colors and shapes to her line and I absolutely love it!

HC: How would you describe your style? 

XG: My style is strange.  One day I’ll go for a preppy look, the next day I’m in loose fit jeans and Ralph Lauren boots.  I’m in love with fashion as a whole and I think I incorporate that into what I wear.  There is no particular style I favor.  I wear what I know looks good on me regardless of the style it is. 

HC: Any summer essentials or spring trends? 

XG: Pastels, pastels, and more pastels.  Specifically mint green! It’s a great color and looks lovely on most.  It started becoming popular around last fall, but as it got colder the trend died out a bit.  Pastels in general will be popular this spring and summer. 

Jenna is the Co-Founder, President and Social Media & Events Director of the WPUNJ branch of Her Campus.  She is a senior Marketing major with a minor in Public Relations.  In the fall 2014 semester, she interned with In Touch, Life & Style and Closer Weekly at Bauer Publishing in the public relations department.  In the spring 2015 semester, she is interning with Jaguar Land Rover North America in the network development department.  She is the Student Representative for the PR & Marketing Committee of WPUNJ, a MTV Trendspotter for MTV Insights and blogger of collegiate advice.  She is a member of Beta Gamma Sigma and Lambda Pi Eta honor societies, and will graduate Magna Cum Laude.  Previously, Jenna worked as a Student Ambassador and Tour Coordinator in the Admissions Office at WPUNJ, was a member of the Student Public Relations Association (SPRA) and was a publicity intern for Kim "Kim D" DePaola, owner of POSCHE Boutique in Wayne, NJ, who is featured on the Real Housewives of New Jersey.  Jenna's interests include dancing, shopping and hanging out with friends.  She loves everything pink and Britney Spears!  
Xiana Gutierrez, sophomore at William Paterson University, is the co-president of The B.A.B.Y. Dolls, staff writer of The Beacon, and Beacon Representative of the Student Government Association with a passion for fashion, cosmetology, and all things fabulous.