Justin Vetrero ’16: Caring About The Music Community

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

Name: Justin Vetrero

Hometown: Rockaway, NJ

Major: Music Education – Classical Saxophone

Year: Junior

Involvement: President of the choir, Vice President of Phi Mu Alpha. Co-President of our chapter of the National Association For Music Education, Saxophone section leader, and he’s a student assistant at the library.

Fun fact: I love Batman!

Favorite Quote: “Music can name the unnamable and communicate the unknowable.” – Leonard Bernstein

Justin Vetrero stole the show this January when he was nominated for a leadership position in choir. As each nominee made their way to the stage, it was Justin that captured the hearts of his audience with his humor, vibrant demeanor, and passion for the choir. The saxophonist is approachable and warm, which makes him the best person for the job.  Beyond his presidency, Justin creates a friendly space for any music student, major or not. He makes everyone feel welcome (and even shares coffee from the coffee machine he keeps on campus). If Justin is an accurate representation of music educators to come, then the future is looking bright.

HC: Choir is a big group to be president of, what do your duties as president entail?

JV: I help organize the music, take attendance, and I make announcements when our professors aren’t there. I’m also trying to take the choir on an African safari, as Teddy Roosevelt taught me: “Go on a safari, come back better at what you do!”

HC: Why did you decide on WPUNJ?

JV: I was lucky enough to have two great bandleaders in my life, both of whom were WPU alumni. And I consulted them about my plans for the future; they both suggested that WPU might be a good option for me. I then went through the audition process, saw live shows, shadowed a friend of mine who was a music major here, and I sat in on a few classes like choir, concert band, and sax rehearsal. I realized it was the place for me.

HC: Where do you see yourself in ten years?

JV: Hopefully not flipping burgers! Honestly, I hope to have received my masters by then. I hope to be teaching, either at a high school band or getting my foot in the door at a university.

HC: What has been your greatest achievement at WPUNJ?

JV: My greatest achievement hasn’t happened yet! My senior and junior recitals are something I very much am looking forward to. As an instructor, you’ve got to be  able to execute as well as teach. Many of our professors here are working musicians; they teach and work, which makes our education so much more valuable. You can’t simply play notes on the piano. So I’m looking forward to these recitals where I can show case the performance aspect of my education.

The William Paterson University Concert Choir

HC: What has been your favorite class at WPUNJ and why?

JV: Concert band because our band director is such an insightful human being. Every time we have class I learn something new from him, even something about my own instrument, which he doesn’t even play! And I’ve learned many things from him that help with life in general; you just absorb so much from him.

HC: How long have you been a musician?

JV: Since I was nine years old. One day, they were showing instruments to us to join the band the following year. When they showed us the sax I said,”That is the coolest thing I’ve ever seen in my life!” and I kept playing on through high school and now in college.

HC: If you were to give your younger self a piece of advice what would it be?

JV: Practice more!

HC: Do you have any words of advice for aspiring music majors?

JV: Do it because you love it, really aspire to be great at it, and the greatness will come. You should want it in your life; you should want to experience it and hone your talent. It’s a love-hate relationship, and we may not ever reach perfection but we can try. And finally, practice a lot.

This semester, the WPU Concert Choir will perform Carmina Burana by Carl Orff at their Spring Concert on April 28th, 2015 at the Shae Center for Performing Arts at 8pm. If you would like to contact the freelance saxophonist, bassist, singer, and educator, Justin can be reached at jvetrero@gmail.com.

Priscilla Cordero is a collegiette from WPUNJ. She is an Anthropology major with a double minor in Music Studies and Media Studies. She is a writer and holds the managing for HCWPUNJ. Her passions include culture, diversity, social justice awareness, feminism, positivity, creativity, and music. She is a member of the Honors College on her campus. In March 2014 Priscilla was awarded HCWPUNJ's Best Polls, Best Celebrities, and Most Spirited. A Jersey girl at heart, but she has New York City dreams. She loves to attend concerts, sing, read fashion magazines, travel, and blog (tumblr included)! 
 Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"