books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

HCWPUNJ Staff Playlist: Study Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

Even though summer is coming quickly – it’s so close we can practically smell the sunscreen – we’ve still got to trudge through another two weeks of school. And we know what that means: final papers, final projects, final presentations, and final, well, finals. Studying stinks, but we’ve figured out a way to make it a bit more fun. That’s why we’re sharing with you, collegiettes, our first ever HCWPUNJ Staff Playlist! This one is specially designed for you, from us, to make that study sesh a little more bearable.

1. “Pompeii” – Bastille

Both this band and its hit song are inspired by world history – Bastille being a French state prison that became a significant symbol for the French Revolution, and Pompeii being the city that was buried and frozen in time beneath ash after the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79AD. In addition to just being a really cool and catchy song, the lyrics make some deliberate references to that cataclysmic event. So this totally counts as studying for your World History final, right?

Our fave line:Oh, where do we begin/ the rubble or our sins?

2. “Alien” – Britney Spears

This awesome single from the one and only Britney Spears totally gets us. All we can think about when studying for that European Lit final is how much we want to be home. We’re dying for Mom’s home-cooked meals and Dad’s goofy humor. Are finals over yet?

Our fave line:But the stars/ in the sky/ look like home/ take me home

3. “World Is Our Playground” – DJ Vice (feat. Mike Taylor)

DJ Vice knows how to get us up and dancing. We can call that a cardio break, right? This electronica/dance jam has such a fun and positive message that you won’t be able to sit still in your seat. Take a break from that Accounting study guide. Remember: the world is our playground.

Our fave line:I feel it in the atmosphere/ feeling the times change like waves of sound

4. “Boyfriend” – Best Coast

You know that guy you like? The cute one from Bio (with that big final you should be studying for)? Well, this song is pretty much about him… sort of. This fun ditty is all about wanting that guy you’re “just friends” with to be your bf. We know that feel. We also know the feeling of wanting to get any competition we have for him “out of the picture,” just like the song’s protag does. If only we could channel this passion into, I don’t know, studying for that Bio final!

Our fave line:She has a college degree/ I dropped out when I was seventeen

5. “Piano Concerto No. 4: Adante” – Mozart

Okay, so this one’s definitely the odd-one-out for this playlist. But they say that nothing stimulates the brain quite like Mozart, and we figure that by this point, five songs in, you might need to get back to actually studying. So here you go; four and a half minutes of real study time.

6. “Stars” – The XX

This song is the perfect transition out of the classical beauty of Mozart’s piano. This song is so simple, but the duet is really pretty. And the words remind us that it’s okay to fail on the first try, just as long as we try, try again. Chins up, collegiettes!

Our fave line:But if stars shouldn’t shine/ by the very first time/ then dear it’s fine, so fine by me/ ’cause we can give it time

7. “The Man” – Aloe Blacc

If you need a pick-me-up, this song is perfect. There’s nothing that can rejuvenate your positive mood quite like hearing a song that tells you how special you are. And Aloe Blacc says it flat-out: I’m the man… er, the ­wo-man.

Our fave line:Stand up now and face the sun/ won’t hide my tail or turn and run/ it’s time to do what must be done

8. “All the Way Home” – Tamar Braxton

Tamar Braxton is fierce, and her music is super-reflective of this ferocity. And aside from that, this song is just really well-sung. We love Tamar’s voice, and we totally feel that late-night-fight-with-the-S.O. thing. Who hasn’t been so frustrated after an argument that you feel like you just need to walk away or you’ll just explode? Actually, we feel like that just trying to study for this Anthro final…

Our fave line:I just wanna leave/ get in my car, and I’mma  just drive/ all night

9. “Ain’t It Fun?” – Paramore

If you haven’t heard this song yet, you must be living under a rock. Seriously. But it’s a fun jam, and that’s why it’s on our Study Break playlist. This song makes light of the cruel realities we’ll face once we, gulp, graduate from school. The ever-dreaded “real world.” Ain’t it fun? No, Paramore; we don’t know that it is…

Our fave line:Don’t go crying to your mama/ ’cause you’re on your own in the real world

10. “On the Nature of Daylight” – Max Richter (from the Shutter Island sountrack)

Ten songs in, we think it’s time for another calming, classical-inspired piece to get those brain-juices flowing in a more productive direction. This stunning and haunting string melody from Shutter Island – an awesome movie to rent as an end-of-the-semester fiesta for yourself – is beautiful. And best yet, it’ll give you six full minutes of actual study time.

11. “Do I Wanna Know?” – Arctic Monkeys

This song is another good transition from an instrumental piece, with its steady beat and calming monotony. This is just a low-key, relaxing indie rock tune by one of our fave indie rock groups.

Our fave line:Are there some aces up your sleeve?/ Have you no idea that you’re in deep?

12. “The Sophomore” – Ben Rector

Okay, so this song isn’t literally about being a sophomore – though the words do sort of fit. Ben Rector’s got a voice that soothes the soul. And Ben Rector singing about being able to make a sophomore effort can bring about success? Yeah, we are so here for that. So just keep this song in mind when you write and rewrite and re-rewrite your final thesis.

Our fave line:It’s like learning how to drive on a crowded highway/ whether this dies or stays alive, I did it my way

13. “Radioactive” – Imagine Dragons

If you need a song that will make you feel super-powerful, like you’ve just stepped out of a Marvel movie, look no further than Imagine Dragons. This song is just the kind of superhuman motivation you’ll need to power through the last few paragraphs of your Senior Seminar paper.

Our fave line: It’s a revolution, I suppose/ we’ll paint it red to fit right in

14. “I’m a Machine” – David Guetta (feat. Crystal Nicole)

We’re giving you one last burst of energy – which you should use to finish up your Psych final review packet. No, seriously. This song will have you bouncing in your seat, but you need to get your work done if you want to dance. Be a machine, baby!

Our fave line:I’m all in it like I’m playing cards, you all know/ so let’s go

15. “Happy” – Pharrell

This song is your reward for a successful study sesh. Pharrell’s fun jam is like instant happiness! Get up and dance because you’ve totally earned it, girl!

Our fave line:Because I’m happy/ clap along if you know what happiness is to you

Still haven’t finished all of those study guides and final papers, collegiettes? Well, the solution is simple – lather, rinse, repeat! Best of luck, ladies. #HCXO

Video credit: YouTube | Lyric credit: AZlyrics

Christine is the Co-Founder and former Editor-in-Chief of the WPUNJ branch of Her Campus. She graduated summa cum laude in May 2015 with BAs in English Literature and Secondary Education and a minor in Creative Writing. Christine currently lives in Maryland and likes to visit Washington, DC (but a little part of her will always miss New Jersey). She loves to edit and aspires to write the great American novel... eventually. In her free time, she enjoys reading, writing, hanging out with her husband and corgi puppy, fangirling over Marvel superheroes and Rothy's shoes, and watching Netflix.