This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

Rap, like poetry, isn’t for everyone. A true rapper can stand out amongst a crowd and engage a crowd to vibe with their music. Sometimes you’re born knowing what you want to do in life. Other times, through happy accidents we find out what we’re meant to do. Through hard work and dedication this young lyricist has made a name for himself in the rap game. Kennedy Smith also known as Geno Five stumbled upon his passion and it’s been nowhere but up since then.

Name: Kennedy “Geno Five” Smith

Hometown: Englewood, NJ

Major/Year: Media Production with a minor in Theater and Comedy/Junior

Fun Fact: He has 7 sisters, the only boy

Involvement on Campus: MEO (Music Entertainment Organization), I also go to a lot of open mics. I try an open up for any acts we have come on campus.

Describe yourself in a couple of words

A spontaneous, creative, understanding, chill 20 year old.

How did you get the name “Geno Five”?

All the credit goes to a friend from my junior year of high school. I have no idea how he came up with it but the best thing I could think of is that my middle name is Eugene and my birthday is on October 5.

What got you into rap/performance?

I was introduced to it in the eighth grade but I really became interested my junior year of high school. I recorded my first rap. And even though it was horrible I really fell in love with the process of creating and bringing an idea to life.

Describe a day in the ideal life of Geno Five?             

No alarms on my phone. Doing what I want. Doing what I love, which is music. Finding new music and making new music. Creating more ideas. Trying to help my family and friends with what they want to do.

Who are your musical influences?

Right now I’m really listening to Soulection, Kendrick Lamar, anyone in Top Dawg Entertainment.

What is the message of your music?

Yes, I am promoting a movement called “Don’t Get S.T.U.C.K” which stands for “Don’t Get Submissive To Ubiquitous Confidence Killer”. The idea is that when you have an idea or a goal and other don’t support you, don’t let their lack of faith keep you stuck. Do your own thing, don’t let others bring you down.

Who is your music for?

A lot of the time I don’t take that into consideration, I make it for myself. Whether it’s something I want to get off my chest or something new I want to try. For me, me and me. I write and perform what I like. I hope those listening appreciate me staying genuine.

What has been your greatest performance? What would be your greatest performance?

Greatest performance I have (this is bittersweet) not too long ago they had the music café college tour come here. I didn’t even know what was going on, I just heard music and walked in. I was pretty much unprepared, no idea what lyrics or music I was going to use. So the live band improved and it came out so beautifully. I was so surprised, I never imagined it could sound so good and I was sick that day too. And that was one of the best performances I’ve had.

My ideal performance would be at Cochella, just vibin’ on the main stage, giving the crowd a show.

Any advice for people like you your junior year of high school, someone just starting out?

Sacrifice is essential and necessary. You will have to sacrifice to benefit in the end. I learned this the hard way. Don’t Get Stuck, I really wish I could tell my younger self that, to really help me keep pushing.

How would you want to be remembered as?

I would hope people would perceive me as someone who just wanted to have a good time. I have a saying “Just a guy with good music to show you good vibes. My hope is to influnece and show you a good time”. So I hope the next generation of artists is inspired by me and my work. 

Anyone you’d like to thank?

Everyone and anyone who has supported me. Everyone on social media thank you for supporting me.

FOLLOW HIM:

• Instagram: @geno_five
  • Soundcloud: Geno Five
  • Twitter: @Geno_Five
  • YouTube: Geno Five

19 Bi-racial, bi-lingual WPUNJ Junior Double Major in Financial Planning and Pop Music
 Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"