photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

A Collegiette’s Guide to Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.
With Thanksgiving today, it’s hard to think about much else. A nice break from school, all your friends being home, and a feast are definitely worth looking forward to. Here are a few tips to have the best Thanksgiving possible this year! 

1. Say no to jeans 
Whether you pick leggings, yoga pants, or even a dress, just don’t be caught wearing jeans on Thanksgiving. An elastic band lets you eat your heart out without the uncomfortable pressure and imprint you get from jeans. Maybe even dig up one of your summer dresses and wear it with tights and boots. You’ll probably do a lot of sitting on Turkey Day, especially if you’re driving somewhere for it, so you might as well be comfortable.

2. Screw the diet 
Okay, so healthy eating is always an important part of healthy living. Eating a bunch carbs doesn’t sound like a good diet choice but Thanksgiving is the one day a year that it’s exactly what you’re supposed to do. So fill up your plate, say yes to seconds, and have no regrets. That being said. . .

3. Don’t skip out on dessert 
Even if you feel like your stomach is 100% full, don’t skip dessert. Because, really, how many chances do you get to eat three slice of pumpkin pie besides on Thanksgiving?

4. Don’t fight with your family 
So, maybe your drunk Aunt Judy has been annoying you all night and you just want to tell her to scram, or your sister hogged the bathroom the entire morning. Resist the urge to argue with your family. Even though at huge family gathering sometimes there’s going to be some drama, don’t let it be you. Just smile and nod. Smile and nod.

5. Obligatory parade/ football watching 
Because what would Thanksgiving be without the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade or every male relative gathered around and shouting at the TV?

6. Be thankful 
While we all look forward to the food and family time, Thanksgiving is really about being thankful. Even if it hasn’t been the best year of your life, there’s always something to appreciate. Thanksgiving is the day to really take a second and do that.

Happy Thanksgiving, collegiettes!

Image sources:
Nicole attends William Paterson University and is majoring in English with a concentration in writing. She is 21 and lives in Livingston, NJ. She loves to read, watch Netflix, and nap as often as she can. She also loves her dog and anything feline-related.
 Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"