Campus Eats: Fri Guyz Cheesesteaks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

You’ve got one final left for the semester, but it’s at 3:30, and you’re starving. The Student Center is, of course, packed — the lines wrap around and around the food court! And while you don’t mind Speert Hall, it’s honestly not your favorite. What’s a hungry collegiette to do?

Well, lucky you! Her Campus WPUNJ is looking at some of the various eateries near campus in a monthly feature called Campus Eats. Alexis, one of our staff writers, will be trying some of the food places around town, reviewing them here, and rating them on a scale of 1 to 10.

This month, she checked out Fri Guyz Cheesesteak on Hamburg Turnpike.

Finally this winter slumber is over, and I think about where Campus Eats should go to next. One Monday morning before class, I stop at the Starbucks in the Preakness Shopping Center, and that’s when I see it — Fri Guyz Cheesesteaks. The thought of saving money on gas and tolls by not driving to Philly dances in my mind… I have to try this place.

Common hour is the next day so I get my friend, Katharine, to come with me. We google the menu in class and almost have a heart attack thinking about cheesesteaks. We meet in the Preakness Shopping Center, since we cannot get there fast enough. It’s a little further up Hamburg Turnpike than WPU is, but traffic is minimal, and Fri Guyz mainly has regulars hanging out inside. The first thing I notice are a couple of kids I go to school with making small talk with the owner and chefs, letting them know how much they appreciate them there (which is just awesome) and fixing up their regular orders without asking.

I look at the menu, but I know you have to try it to definitely know if it’s good enough to replace Pat & Geno’s in Philly.

They have a wide variety of cheesesteaks — from a classic cheesesteak to a parmigiana with sauce. Obviously I choose the classic. I order a plain cheesesteak with no onion or peppers (picky eater alert) and a side of nachos fries. Katharine gets no peppers on her cheesesteak. We order and pay. They give us a 10% discount since it’s our first time. (Broke college students love any discount we can get!) The total comes out to $11 with drink and discount. They have limited seating, which is definitely a downside because it gets crowded quickly! But it seems like the people who order usually get their steaks to go.

We get the high top seats because why not. The place has a great vibe; we love the atmosphere. Pre-season baseball is on, and the music that’s playing is not obnoxiously loud. They bring us our food pretty quickly, and it takes about three seconds before we tear into it. And just like that, our taste buds are satisfied! DELICIOUS!

We love it. I can’t even pretend to be ladylike, and the cheese and grease are just perfect. I eat half a cheesesteak and a quarter of the fries, since the portions are big and can be saved for tomorrow’s lunch.

Fri Guyz Cheesesteaks is an awesome place to get some food that will satisfy anyone. From their salads (for the healthy ones) to hot wings (for girls like me who don’t mind two hours in the gym burning it all off) everyone can enjoy Fri Guyz Cheesesteaks!

Service: 9.5

Price: 8.5

Food: 10

Location: 8.5

Appearance: 9

Portion: 9

Convenience for Students: 8.5

TOTAL: 9

When you go in, make sure to tell Fri Guyz Cheesesteaks about our review!

Have a place you love near campus? Tell us! Send your questions/comments/recommendations! And don’t forget; if you go to one of our spots to take a picture or check in using #HCEatsWPUNJ and tweet at @HERCAMPUSWPUNJ!

I am a Business Administration student at William Paterson University, graduating in 2015. I am the Social Media Manager at Her Campus WPUNJ. When I'm not working on my assignments, I'm eating food and seeking adventure. I also love to exercise, travel and  spend time with my dog. I try to always enjoy the little things in life, because to me, they are the big things.Be sure to tweet at me! @lalalexiiiii
 Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"