Alexis Abramson ’15: From Nowhere to Now Here!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

Name: Alexis Abramson

Hometown: Ridgewood, New Jersey

Major: Business Administration and Management       

Year: Senior

Involvement: Social Media Manager for Her Campus WPUNJ, new President of Commuter Club

Fun Fact: I travel to absurdly cold places… for fun!

Favorite Quote: “A little consideration, a little thought for others, makes all the difference.” –Winnie the Pooh

HC: Tell us a little bit about your involvement on campus.

AA: I’m currently President of Commuter Club and Social Media Manager for Her Campus WPUNJ.

HC: We heard you recently were awarded some promotions in Commuter Club and in Her Campus WPUNJ. Care to share?

AA: The spring semester of 2014 was my first attempt of getting involved with clubs on campus, since then, I’ve been able to prove my dedication for both the Commuter Club and Her Campus. I originally started at Commuter Club as Public Relations Chair and at Her Campus WPUNJ as a featured writer. Currently I am President of the Commuter Club and Social Media Manager of Her Campus WPUNJ. I manage an executive board and plan events for Commuter Club and manage a staff of 12 girls for our social media outlets for HCWPUNJ.

HC: As President of the Commuter Club, what are some changes you plan to make?

AA: I would really like to bring back the Commuter of the Month spot, which has one commuter getting VIP parking guaranteed for one month! I am also looking for Valley Road students to get involved with events back on main campus and finding new and innovative ways to help connect commuters and residences. I am also planning a weather update for the coming winter and looking to voice concerns to the President of the University about travel conditions and how, we the students, feel about commuting in compromising weather.

HC: What are some events that the Commuter Club has planned for this semester?

AA: Well, every Monday and Wednesday Morning Commuter Services host a free breakfast for students underneath the ballrooms! We had a Jets football tailgate party in the ballrooms, which will also be happening for an upcoming Giants game. We also recently traveled to Montreal October 17th-19th as an excursion for our students to experience another culture and to help them interact with other students. We are in the works for a sporting event to help bring together commuters and residents that will have them interact and meet more people!

HC: How can interested students join Commuter Club?

AA: Join our club roster on Collegiatelink first and then email us at commuterclub@student.wpunj.edu. Be sure to come to a meeting to get involved!

HC: How has your involvement in various clubs influenced your experience at WPUNJ?

AA: I did not like attending school at William Paterson University when I started commuting, I would always complain how I was so isolated when I went from being a resident to a commuter. In reality, I isolated myself. I saw an opportunity in Her Campus WPUNJ, which eventually led to my being asked to be a part of the Commuter Club executive board. I am incredibly grateful for Her Campus WPUNJ helping me get involved.

HC: What do you hope to accomplish within the next year?

AA: A personal goal: GRADUATE!  As a Pioneer, I look to get involved more by having school spirit, I just attended my first WPU hockey game, which I HIGHLY suggest! As Commuter Club president, I hope to bring light to commuter issues as well as bridge the gap between commuters and residing students. With my experience in Her Campus, I hope to land a job in the business field and look into graduate schools in the New York Metropolitan area to achieve my MBA.

HC: What has been your favorite class at WPUNJ, and why?

AA: My favorite class? Hmm, this is difficult. I can say in the General Education realm it would have to be Women’s Changing Roles and Concepts of the Person (Philosophy). I have to credit both Maria Rodriquez and Daniel Kolak to showing me a different perspective of how to view the world and the people that reside in it.

As a Business Student, some great classes I have taken are Human Resources Planning and Developing, Production and Operations Management, and Legal Environment of Business. Annette Baron (who was my first HC celebrity), Jennifer Plotts, and Robert Cooney are credited for these classes. Every one of these professors has gone out of their way to really help me evolve into an educated business student who can face real world scenarios professionally and without panic!

HC: As a wise senior, what is the most important piece of advice you can share with our Freshmen readers?

AA:  When times seem impossible, push through it. In the spring of 2013 my best friend died and even though it was dreadful to get up in the morning, I pushed through it. I had lost all my savings and had to commute 2 hours a day to go home 20 minutes away but I saw the bigger picture and made the Dean’s List for the first time that year. The only person stopping you is YOU.

Christine is the Co-Founder and former Editor-in-Chief of the WPUNJ branch of Her Campus. She graduated summa cum laude in May 2015 with BAs in English Literature and Secondary Education and a minor in Creative Writing. Christine currently lives in Maryland and likes to visit Washington, DC (but a little part of her will always miss New Jersey). She loves to edit and aspires to write the great American novel... eventually. In her free time, she enjoys reading, writing, hanging out with her husband and corgi puppy, fangirling over Marvel superheroes and Rothy's shoes, and watching Netflix.