Advice To My 5 Year Old Self

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

I’m always reliving the days that I could wake up and not have a plan.  I would wake up, breakfast would be made for me, and had no responsibilities.  “Stress” was not in my vocabulary back in those days.  But in the midst of being care free, I could not wait to grow up.  I couldn’t wait to drive a car, go to high school, go on dates, and get to where I want in life.  The thought of being a grown up was awesome to me.  Having freedom and not having to answer to anyone was paradise.  I rushed it. I anticipated it.

If I can some up in two words all the advice I could give you: Cherish it.

Cherish the free time. You have all the time in the world to do whatever you want.  Take a nap. Seriously, I know you want to use up all this energy you have, but take advantage of it.  Because the second you are my age and actually want to take a nap, you can’t.  You realize after 10 minutes something else has to be done.

Cherish the innocence.  You’re young and you’re going to get in trouble.  You don’t know better.  It is a lot different than getting into trouble now.  Cause it could take us a little more than a time out to finally learn our lesson.

Cherish the people.  You are surrounded by people who love you and take care of you.  And as dark and depressing it sounds, even though they are there now, by the time you get to be me some might not be.  And there isn’t a day I don’t wish that I could just have one more day with them.  So spend time with them, give them all the hugs and kisses in the world.  And always, always, ALWAYS tell them you love them.

Cherish the happiness. Appreciate the time you don’t have to worry about anyone else, but yourself.  You will get heartbroken.  More than once probably.  And it won’t be because the head off your Barbie broke.  You’ll wish it will be that simple.  You will over come all the curves thrown at you, and you’ll be strong. But appreciate the simplicity of life now.

Cherish yourself. Love yourself. Don’t worry about anyone else. Don’t compare yourself to everyone else. Be you. Be proud. Stick to your guns. Stand up for what you believe. And take that imagination with you, it will get you where you want to go.

Now I’m not saying its awful being a grown up, if I could even consider myself that.  It has its perks. You will meet some amazing people in your life and achieve so many goals.  There are ups and downs and in the long run it will all be worth it. But, all I’m trying to say is don’t look too far ahead into the future.  If you want to be a pop-star, be a pop star.  Live for the moment and don’t worry about tomorrow. Cause even though all you are doing is wishing you’d be me, I’m here wishing I was you.

Sincerely,

20 Year Old Me

Alexis hails from Bergen County, New Jersey and is a junior at William Paterson University. To her friends she's known as Alexis or Lex. She studies Media Production and Graphic design and plans to study marketing or sports management. She also works for WPU Recreational Services as a Fitness Center attendant and videographer. Alexis is a sports junkie, especially for the New York Yankees. She also loves film, television, social media, and playing sports. Her dream one day is to work in the sports media industry whether it is behind the scenes or being the next Erin Andrews! Her favorite shows are Friends and Friday Night LIghts, her favorite movies are The Dark Knight trilogy and Back To The Future. She enjoys all music from Rap to Country. She can mostly be found either studying in Hobart Hall or working out in the Rec Center.
 Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"