7 Reasons Why The Bathroom Is A Girl’s Sanctuary

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

Every leading lady knows her day doesn’t start until she goes to the bathroom… Well not exactly like that. For a girl, a bathroom functions as many things! It’s secretly a girl’s own sanctuary (unless it’s a public, not to mention kind of gross, bathroom; then we’re in and out). Here are seven reasons why we spend an excessive amount of time in the powder room!

1.     After a long hard day of classes, interacting with civilization, and waiting on line for our Starbucks, a girl just needs to unwind and head straight for the shower. Ah, blissful serenity, warm water, and a bionic shower with twenty different spouts if you’re privileged. The shower is point blank where life decisions are made and contemplating the wonders of the universe occurs. If you’re saying to yourself at this very moment you’ve never done this before, you’re lying. While showers are suppose to relieve stress, they make us think twenty times more than we should sometimes. So, collegiettes, take a shower and figure out how to solve world hunger in the process, and it should be a good day.

2.     On a night out on the town, the bathroom is both a safe haven and a war zone, especially if you’re getting ready with multiple girls. Curling irons and straighteners, which are still hot, are strewn everywhere. There is a leaning tower of makeup on the corner of the sink and twenty-five different perfume scents burning the inside of your nostrils. It’s the place where you can reapply your liquid eyeliner seven times because the “wing” wasn’t angled right and not get judged for it. Unless you have a vanity already, the bathroom is your pièce de résistance.

3.     We all knew this one was coming: selfies. There is something about the bathroom that just makes us want to take selfies and then re-take them because they weren’t from “our good side”.  For some reason just about any lighting in a bathroom makes us look airbrushed, and we’re all about it. Whether we’re going solo-dolo on a picture or trying to fit everyone into the shot, girls have mastered the bathroom selfie without showing the shower curtains or an array of toothbrushes. That’s a thumbs up in our book.

4.      If you can’t sing, get yourself to the shower and let the acoustics of your bathroom turn you into Céline Dion. Every girl is guilty of jamming out when she’s shampooing it up (hint: the bar of soap or that loofa on a stick makes for the perfect microphone). It’s a super-fun way to relieve stress and get in a happy mood for the rest of your day! But, please don’t get out of hand and bust crazy moves because that could lead to slipping, falling, and having your family find you naked in the shower with Mariah Carey’s “Obsessed” playing. In the words of Simon Cowell, that’s a ‘no’ from me.

5.      While showering is lovely, we girls like to give ourselves a spa day every now and then; that’s when the bathtub becomes an oasis. We tend to overdo our preparation when it comes to this: candles everywhere (probably in fire-hazardous zones), incense if you want to go all “Namaste,” and an unhealthy amount of bubble bath — so much so that your bathroom could be the next “foam party spot”(goggles on, collegiettes!). A glass of wine to sip regally is also recommended.  Dim the lights, and you’re in for a no-expenses-paid hour or so of relaxation. 

6.     Maybe J.K. Rowling purposefully put the Chamber of Secrets in the girl’s bathroom. That’s our theory. It’s like gossip central, akin to Vegas — “what’s said in the bathroom stays in the bathroom.” If you’re at a party and need to tell your bff something, that’s where you go, despite how “fratty” it can be; you don’t touch anything because 250 other people have been there, and you don’t know where they’ve been. And, if you’re lucky, it’ll just be you and your friend in a public bathroom by yourself so you can talk to each other through the stalls. How convenient. (Just always be aware of who’s in the bathroom; word can travel fast.)

7.     You know that extra closet space you wish you had? Just push those shower curtains aside, grab your seventeen different possible outfits you want to try on and hang them right there… Voilà! It’s a temporary situation, but boy, does it work when you’re crunched for time. Hopefully you have a long mirror so you can include the shoes in the outfit decision! It’s your own personal 360-degree mirror room. We just wish Stacy and Clinton would tell us “what not to wear.”

Sources

Reddit.com

Tumblr.com

Pintrest.com 

Samantha is a Junior and the president of Her Campus WPUNJ at William Paterson University in Wayne, New Jersey. She prefers the nickname Sam and is majoring in Public Relations with a minor in Visual Communication. She lives in Central Jersey and lives for the New York Rangers. She loves the outdoors and all things entomology, especially butterflies. When she's not catching up on her favorite Netflix shows she's either working out at the Rec, writing up a spicy new piece for Her Campus, or watching hockey. But most importantly, the way to her heart is some delicious sushi!
 Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"