This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

Whether you’re an incoming freshman, sophomore, junior, or even senior, coming to school after summer break can be a huge wake up call. It’s hard to get focused and sit in classes when the weather is still beautiful, but we’ve all gotta do it and suffer through together. To make it a little easier on yourself there are 5 must-do things to start your semester out strong and end it even stronger.

1. A Planner Will Save Your Life

Trust me on this one. If you’ve never used a planner make college your time to start. There are so many new things going on that you’ll really need somewhere to sketch out your week. Along with that you can’t forget your assignments so you definitely need somewhere to write them down. Your classes are no longer every day like they were in high school so it’s easier to forget. By actually writing things down you will remember them much easier (which is also a good study tip).

2. Keep Your Dorm Clean

If you’re like me you’re probably sitting in a pile of clothes on your bed while you’re reading this. Well, looks like we can work on this one together this semester. I know it’s a pain to be constantly cleaning your room but it will make studying and focusing so much easier. Have a clean, clutter-free space will let your mind be at ease and you’ll feel more comfortable in your space. When it’s time to write that essay or research paper you’re going to want a clear desk to do it at.

3. Set Goals

Don’t let yourself go through the semester without feeling like you’ve accomplished everything you’ve wanted to. Set goals, goals that you know you can achieve on top of your school work, and you’ll end up feeling so much better about yourself at the end of the semester. You can even post some sticky notes around your dorm in areas you know you’ll be looking at each day to keep you motivated.

4. Take Breaks

All-nighters are very popular amongst college students but that late night cramming can get you into trouble. Make sure that you space out your work in a timely manner so that you’re able to take breaks for yourself. If you try to write an entire paper in one sitting your brain is going to be fried. Ultimately you just won’t be getting the best possible work onto that paper because your body won’t have the energy to think it through. Focus on yourself and listen to what your body needs while you’re pushing through those piles of homework.

5. Get Some Sleep!

I know sleep isn’t everyones main focus but it’s definitely not something that you can just throw on the back burner. You can still go to class and have a social life while getting in the sleep that you need. If you have to take naps during the day, do it! You will never feel like yourself if you’re not getting the right amount of sleep and your classwork will reflect that. Your friends aren’t going to hate you just because you decide to stay in one night. Trust me, take that time for yourself and catch up on your sleep and you will be so much happier and healthier.

I am currently a junior studying Media Production and Visual Communications at William Paterson University. Coming from a small town, one square mile to be exact, and moving up to this busy North Jersey/city area has been a big change for me, but I'm loving every second of it. Along with HerCampus I'm involved in the TV Club as well as having three on-campus jobs and an off-campus internship. I spend my free time (although there isn't much of it) doing makeup, taking pictures, editing videos, or cuddling with my hedgehog Tuka. New Jersey has been good to me but after school I plan on moving to the west coast and finding out just where I'm meant to be and where I can do what I love.
 Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"