5 Ways to De-Stress During Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

It’s that time of the semester again.

Loads of strenuous 10-paged papers, round-up exams, and lengthy presentations piled onto your To-Do list and you’re probably wondering how the hell you are going to get all of this work done. Yup, sounds like Finals season. Before you start panicking, it’s important to remain calm and relaxed. Stressing yourself out leads to mental breakdowns, poor quality of work, and constant frustration. Therefore, here are 5 ways to de-stress during finals:

1. LISTEN TO YOUR “INNER BOSS” PLAYLIST.

If there’s one thing that empowers me, it’s my #girlboss playlist. Listening to songs like “Bodak Yellow” by Cardi B or “Work” by Fifth Harmony will make you feel unstoppable and on top of the world, producing great vibes and the ability to grind.

2. MEDITATE.

Out of every relaxing technique I’ve tried, meditation is my #1. Meditation allows you to release tensions and stressful thoughts that flow in and out of your mind. And the best part about it—all you have to do is sit and not think about anything. Although it sounds easy, it can be difficult to block over 10,000 thoughts within that time frame. However, there are various meditation apps such as Headspace and Mindfulness to help you.

3. REWARD YOURSELF AFTER YOUR STUDY SESSIONS.

Rewarding yourself after a 2-hour study sessions is like indulging in dessert after dinner; it makes the task/challenge worthwhile. Whether it’s enjoying a chocolate bar, watching your favorite movie on Netflix, or buying that cute top you’ve seen on Fashion Nova; rewarding yourself keeps you productive.

4. EXERCISE.

I don’t know about y’all but, there’s something about jumping on the treadmill for 45 minutes that motivates and energizes me. The benefits of exercise, as stated in Psychology Today, include the following: academic improvement, improvement of focus and cognitive function, and creation of brain connectivity. It can be as simple as walking around campus or going to the gym for 15-30 minutes; fitting “gym time” into your schedule allows your mind to keep your eyes on the prize.

5. SLEEP.

Depriving yourself from a good night’s rest is the WORST thing you can do during finals. According to the Sleep Foundation, lack of sleep can limit your ability to learn, concentrate, and solve problems. Without the recommended 8-9 hours of sleep, it’s impossible for someone to effectively study for an exam and complete a 10-page paper. Therefore, make sure you catch up on some ZZZ’s tonight before attempting to touch any assignments.

A college sophomore majoring in Print Journalism and Public Relation who has an undeniable love for fashion/lifestyle blogging, self-care rituals, M & M Peanuts, and practicing self-love daily. 
 Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"