toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Scary Stories That’ll Keep You Up At Night

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

As Halloween quickly approaches maybe some of you don’t want to go out. Need something to do while staying home? Tell scary stories! Here are some scary stories that’ll have you sleeping with the lights on.

1. This first one reminds us why it is always good to check under your bed.

Humans Can Lick Too

My great-grandmother lived alone up in the mountains at her cabin. Her husband had died, so she was there all alone. She only had one companion, and that was her loving dog. They both loved each other very much and the dog loved her and comforted her. Every night when she went to bed, the dog would lick her hand to let her know that he was there to protect her.

One night, she had gone to bed and the dog had licked her hand like he had done routinely every night since her husband died. But this night was different. She had woken up in the middle of the night because she heard her dog whimpering. She wanted to comfort him and let her know she was there for him, so she stuck her hand out by the bed and she felt the dog gently lick her hand like always. She figured he was just cold so she went back to sleep.

The dog’s whimpering had woken her up a second time in the night so she stuck her hand out, the dog licked it and she went back to sleep.This happened a third time, and she stuck her hand out and the dog stopped whimpering and came and licked her hand. She stayed awake a few moments afterward and the dog had stopped whimpering. She went back to sleep again.

In the morning, she woke up and stuck her hand out by the bed, but nothing licked her hand. She thought that the dog had already awaken and was just in the front room. She rolled over and got out of bed and heard a drip……drip…..drip…..drip, so she walked into the kitchen and turned the handles on the sink faucet, but it wasn’t dripping.

She continued into her bathroom to take a shower. As she walked in, the drips got louder! She turned and looked above the bathtub and SCREAMED! There, hanging from the light by his tail, was her loving companion, with his blood dripping into the bathtub. She screamed and began to cry. Wiping her eyes and sobbing, she turned around and looked at the mirror. In the mirror she saw the dog hanging and written on the mirror with a finger, in her dog’s blood with drips and streaks hanging down from each letter, were the words… HUMANS CAN LICK TOO!

(Source:http://www.halloweenishere.com/ghost_stories.html)

2. Coming back to the dorms after a late night out? Don’t turn on the lights!

The Roommate’s Death

A girl returns home late after going to a party one night. Because she doesn’t want to wake her roommate who has an exam the next day, she doesn’t turn on the lights and quickly slips into bed. When she wakes up the next morning, however, light reveals what she’d missed. Her roommate’s body had been cut open, and a message had been written in blood on the wall: “Aren’t you glad you didn’t turn on the light?”

(Source:http://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/a6945507/most-notorious-urban-…)

3. Blood is thicker than water except when there’s a boy involved.

The Truly Evil Twin

My twin sister Mallory and I are completely indistinguishable, right down to our overly sensitive Irish skin. The only visible difference is a small burn on Mal’s forearm, from overexposure to the sun.

We used to be really close, but ever since Mal started dating Sam, she’s been spending less time with me. But two weeks ago, Sam came over when Mallory wasn’t home. I was about to tell him she was at Jessica’s for an overnight cram session, but he kissed me before I got the chance. He thought I was my sister.

Then he started talking. “Molly isn’t here, is she?” he asked me, looking around. Obviously I was there, not Mal. I was wearing long sleeves, and he wasn’t looking for the burn anyway. But I’d never been kissed before, and he was good at it, so I played along. “No, we’re alone,” I smiled my sister’s best smile. “Good. I know you’ve been fed up with her lately. It’s good that you’re not spending so much time with her anymore.”

Fed up? I knew I was becoming a third wheel with them. But then Sam’s mouth met mine, harder this time, and I found myself swept up in the urgency of his kisses. I realized, in that moment, that I wanted everything Mal had. I was fed up as well. I was sick of coming in second place in the eyes of the other half of my soul.

The next morning, Mallory came home looking especially tired, complaining of a headache. “You look like you’ve been working really hard!” I said sympathetically. “It’s Sunday. You should rest, and let all that material sink in.” “You’re right,” she agreed, looking thoughtful. “Maybe I’ll go lay out on the beach for twenty minutes, to relax.” “That sounds like a great idea! Here, you should use my new spray-on sunscreen. SPF 120, for our delicate skin.” I handed her the bottle, and two tablets. “Here, take these aspirin, too, for your headache.” She looked at me strangely, eyes flashing guilt and then turning grateful quickly. “Thanks so much. I’m gonna have my earphones in, OK? I’ll be in our usual spot if you need me. But I’ll be back in a half hour max.” “Right, if you’re not, I’ll come looking.” She’d once stayed in the sun too long and the small portion of her arm outside of the umbrella had burned.

I helped her get coated in a thick layer of the spray-on sunscreen and made sure she took the pills before she left. I followed and watched her fall asleep. It was a sunny day, and my forearm stung where I’d smudged some spray. I grabbed the umbrella and toted it back to the house. At around sundown, I heard footsteps. I greeted Sam, who glanced at my burnt arm and asked where Molly was. “No idea,” I said, kissing him and pushing the cooking oil under the table with my foot.

(Source: http://www.cosmopolitan.com/lifestyle/news/a48569/scary-stories/)

4. She watches you while you sleep.

What The Dog Knew

In my old apartment, my dog would, on occasion, look down the hallway towards the bedroom, from the living room, and growl, for no apparent reason. Also on occasion, when I was sleeping in the bedroom (she slept at the foot of the bed), I would wake up with her staring intently at the door and growling. She was a big girl – 140 pounds of Great Dane, Catahoula, and slobber.

So I’m there for a couple of years of this, thinking, ok, my dog has a good imagination. Wrong. One night I woke up due not to my dog growling, but barking for all she was worth. And not at the door… she was barking straight at me. I opened my eyes pretty much immediately, and there was a blur of light, leaning over me, very close – certainly less than six inches from my face. It was not distinguishable as a person – it more resembled a person-sized version of a colorful nebula you might see a picture of in a science magazine. Three dimensional and all. I immediately got the distinct impression that this thing had been watching me sleep. For god knows how long, and how many times before.

For all the clarity of that distinct feeling, I had no sense of what it wanted, whether it was malevolent or just curious. I flipped right the fuck out – jumped backwards to the other side of the bed, too terrified to scream, and that blur of light receded and disappeared over the course of about 3 seconds. My dog was going absolutely ape.

So, shortly thereafter, I asked the building manager if anybody had ever died there. She investigated that, and came back to me a couple of weeks later with a yes, a woman had died of a drug overdose in that apartment in 1995 (so 12 years earlier), shortly after having her child removed from her custody because of her addiction problems. My dog did still growl at the hallway from time to time, but I never saw it again. I moved out about a year later.

(Source:http://jezebel.com/10-of-the-spookiest-scary-stories-youll-ever-read-145…)

5. Remember to always check your backseat

Killer in the Backseat

One night, a woman is driving home late after having drinks with her girlfriends. After driving for a few minutes on an empty highway, she notices another pair of headlights in her rearview mirror. As the car pulls up behind her, she sees it has its turn signal on, preparing to pass her, but then the car suddenly swerves back behind her, gets dangerously close to her bumper, and flashes its brights. The woman gets nervous but fights the urge to look at the car behind her.

The car follows her all the way home, continuously flashing its brights, until she pulled into her driveway. She runs from her car to the front door, only to be followed by the man from the car that was following her. He tells her to lock the door and call the police. When the police arrive, she is finally told the truth: The man behind her was trying to save her. As he pulled up to switch lanes, he saw the silhouette of a man with a butcher knife rising up from the backseat to stab her.

19 Bi-racial, bi-lingual WPUNJ Junior Double Major in Financial Planning and Pop Music
 Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"