This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

It’s that time of year again! It’s the time where people around the country are shopping for Christmas gifts for their loved ones. Most people are looking forward to that day after Thanksgiving when they’ll shop relentlessly for the best deals on everything from clothing to electronics. But before you plan to camp out for your shopping trip, Her Campus WPUNJ is here to debunk some popular Black Friday myths.

Myth: Black Friday prices are the lowest of the year.

Fact: You can actually find lower prices the week before Christmas. Dealnews.com also suggests waiting to buy toys, winter apparel, and HD TVs. Toys see their lowest prices right before Christmas, winter apparel sees its lowest prices after Christmas, and HD TVs usually sees their lowest prices between December and February.

Myth: It’s worth camping out on Black Friday to receive the best deals.

Fact: More and more Black Friday deals are being offered online, and sometimes these deals are better online than in the store. In fact, a dealnews.com article mentioned that in previous years, 70% of in-store Black Friday deals were also offered online.

Myth: Black Friday is the busiest shopping day of the year.

Fact:  Black Friday has only become the one of the biggest shopping days of the year in the recent decade. According to dealnews.com, the Saturday before Christmas is actually the biggest shopping day of the year as procrastinators scramble to purchase gifts for their loved ones.

[pagebreak]

Myth:  Black Friday shopping is dangerous.

Fact: Black Friday is not as dangerous as the media portrays it to be. Despite images of customers pushing and shoving each other to get their hands on the latest stuff, customers usually have a pleasant experience shopping on Black Friday. In addition, retail stores do not want their names attached to any violence, and they take the necessary precautions to ensure that everything is running smoothly.

Myth: Black Friday deals begin on Black Friday.

Fact: In a recent article on USA Today, several stores such as Best Buy, Walmart, Macy’s and Target are offering Black Friday deals on Thanksgiving as early as 6 p.m., and online deals are occurring as early as Thanksgiving morning. Some retailers have even released deals as early as two weeks before Black Friday.

Black Friday is one of the busiest times of the year with hundreds of people camping out to get the best deals. However, if you really want good deals, it’s best to wait it out. If you do plan on going shopping on Black Friday, go online shopping; that way, you don’t have to worry about crowds and long lines. Happy shopping!

For more information about Black Friday Myths, here are a few links:

USA Today

Deal News 

Bloomberg BusinessWeek

Photo sources:
http://wciv.images.worldnow.co…
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic…

Danielle Brantley is a senior at William Paterson University in Wayne, NJ. She is a Marketing major with minors in Social Justice Studies and Psychology. Danielle is a contributing writer for Her Campus WPUNJ as it finally launched in March 2013. She also works for Information Systems at WPUNJ as a Technology Consultant and for the First-Year Experience office as a Peer Leader. She has also written for The Beacon, WPU's student-run publication. Danielle enjoys writing, shopping, listening to music, and watching YouTube.
 Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"