10 Ways to keep off the Freshmen 15!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

1. Emotions can play a huge role in gaining weight. Stress, anxiety and sadness can all result in eating too much. Next time you’re reaching for that bag of chips, ask yourself if you’re eating because you’re actually hungry or if its because you’re missing home.

2. Skipping breakfast can slow down your metabolism significantly. People who eat breakfast tend to eat less throughout the day. Eating a balanced breakfast gets your body ready for the day ahead.

2. Beware of the dining hall food! Be smart with the choices you make. Foods that are baked, broiled, steamed, grilled or roasted are always better than anything fried, buttery, or covered in sauce. Simple everyday choices can keep those extra pounds off. 

3. Watch the liquids! Alcohol = calories. Try drinking water in between drinks because you’ll consume less alcohol, which means less calories. Eating a good meal before going out for a night of drinking also helps prevent late-night snacking.

4. Make time for regular exercise. Any amount of exercise is better than nothing. It helps your body stay in shape, keeps your heart healthy and reduces stress. Simple things like taking the stairs instead of the elevator can make a difference too. Having a gym buddy or getting involved with a physical activity group/club always makes it easier to hit the gym too

5. Try eating multiple small meals more frequently as opposed to a few large meals in a day. It speeds up your metabolism.

6. Make sure you have healthy snack options in your room. Sure, you can keep your favorite bag of chips, but try to keep a small bag rather than a large one. Have a variety of snacks to make sure you stay away from fast food and vending machines

7. Drink water! Dehydration slows down your metabolism and water helps flush toxins out of your system. Don’t forget to bring a water bottle with you before you leave for class.

8. Make sure you get a good night’s rest! Lack of sleep can mess with your body’s hormones and cause you to eat more.

9. Try not to eat so fast. Your brain delays 20 minutes in figuring out that your stomach is full. Try eating slower to give your brain more time to know if you’ve had enough or if you still have room for more. 

Remember that weightloss doesn’t equate to happiness, it stems from you! 

Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"