10 Great Clubs to Check Out at WPU Club Fair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

We’re back to the grind now that classes have started up again at WPUNJ, but that doesn’t mean the school year has to be a drag! There are plenty of student organizations on campus (about 120, in fact) and plenty of opportunities to get involved. While you’re at WPUNJ Club Fair on Thursday, January 22nd, 2015 at Common Hour in the University Ballrooms, make sure to check out these 10 great clubs!

1. CHOSEN: The Gay-Straight Alliance

In addition to providing a safe space for people of all sexual orientations, CHOSEN is all about educating people on- and off-campus about the issues that impact LGBTQ people and allies, alike. The club focuses on bridging the gay and straight communities to foster acceptance and understanding between them. Whether you identify as gay or straight or somewhere in-between, CHOSEN is a supportive community made for you and your fellow allies in the movement for equality.

2. Commuter Club

Hey, commuters: ever wish that WPUNJ would tailor some things more to you? Well, here you go. Commuter Club was restarted by former Campus Celebrity Al LoMartire to give commuter students opportunities for a more fulfilling collegiate experience. If you commuters (or even residents) find that you just go straight to class and home, with hardly a lunch in-between, you should definitely join this org (and follow their Facebook page)! It’s a super-easy way to get more involved on campus with people who totally know the struggle of finding a parking spot in Lot 5.

3. Earth First: Student Action Committee

If you’ve seen the solar panels over the parking lots, the water bottle-refill fountain in the Student Center, and the recycling bins all over campus, it’s not hard to believe that WPUNJ is a green campus! And no org on campus is more committed to being green than Earth First. If you lovingly call yourself a “tree-hugger,” hate fracking as much as Mark Ruffalo does, and get giddy just thinking about alternative energies, then Earth First is your perfect fit on campus! Our planet is our most valuable asset, collegiettes, so let’s not muck it up.

4. Feminist Collective

If egalitarianism is your jam, then you should check out the Feminist Collective, whose President is former Campus Celebrity Tara Felten. The entire purpose of the club is to promote equality for all genders. So if social justice and gender issues are your favorite topics of conversation (even if you’re not a WGS major), you should sign yourself up to be a feminist – or at least to join Feminist Collective.

5. Professional Sales Club

Even if you’re not a Professional Sales major, you should consider joining the Professional Sales Club. Seriously. (Don’t scroll down just yet; hear me out.) A staggeringly depressing 40% of college graduates don’t find work in the fields they chose, according to Forbes. They even go on to say that “six times as many graduates are working in retail or hospitality as had originally planned.” With this in mind, doesn’t it seem like a good idea to get some retail and professional sales experience before you’re looking for it? We sure think so. And don’t worry; Professional Sales Club takes in students from all majors.

6. Student Activities Programming Board (SAPB)

The Student Activities Programming Board (known around campus as the SAPB) is pretty much in charge of planning all on-campus events, including Welcome Week! If you love planning events as much as you love attending them, then definitely check them out. As an SAPB member you’ll even have input on future events at WPUNJ! So worth it.

7. The B.A.B.Y. Dolls (Brilliant and Beautiful Youth)

If volunteerism is more your style, you should check out The B.A.B.Y. Dolls! Founded by a group of Nursing students, this club is as much about community service as it is creating a welcoming and friendly community within itself. They aim to make a difference in society through their volunteer work. These girls truly are Brilliant and Beautiful Youth, striving to make our world and our community just a little bit better. These girls are making humanitarianism chic and looking super-cute while doing it – and you can, too. Just make sure to stop by their table and sign up!

8. Zeitgeist

If you’re searching for an outlet for all of your creative energies, look no further than Zeitgeist. This club collects, organizes, publishes, and distributes student works as an on-campus literary magazine. And they’re always looking for help – whether you want to contribute (they take fiction and nonfiction writing, poetry, fine art, and photography) or assist in the magazine’s creation. So if you’ve got a great imagination and love the English language, make sure to stop by their table!

9. Cultural Clubs

WPUNJ is an incredibly, undeniably diverse school; with students of all colors and races, our campus is a rich pool of culture. To reflect this, WPUNJ has multiple sanctioned clubs and organizations to represent different cultures – like CARIBSA, the Caribbean Student Association; FACE, the Filipino American Cultural Entity; Go Japan; Korea Club; French Club; and Italian Club. These clubs are all about acknowledging and celebrating all of the cultures that represent our varied student body. The best part? They’re open to everyone.

10. (Your Major Here) Club

In college, your major is part of your identity, and it’s important to reflect your passion for whatever major you chose in ways other than your academics. Joining the club for your major is an awesome way to do this. If you’re in Public Relations, sign up for the Student Public Relations Association. Chem majors should check out the Chemistry Club (especially because their bad science jokes are hilarious). Education majors of all concentrations ought to join the Education Club. Not only is it a good way to highlight your dedication to your chosen major, but it’s also a pretty good way to make friends in your classes. And that means the first day of next semester won’t be quite as awkward.

BONUS: Her Campus WPUNJ

Not to brag (okay, we’re bragging a little), but we’re a pretty cool club, too. Since Her Campus WPUNJ was launched in March 2013, we’ve jumped the ranks from rookie to a Pink level chapter. We’re recognized as one of the best on-campus publications, which is awesome if you’re looking to gain some writing experience for your portfolio. And last year we won a National Award for our On-Campus Publicity, which is good for all of you PR majors out there. Her Campus WPUNJ has something for everyone, and our events are always a blast (with free food, to boot)! Make sure to come check us out at club fair. Hopefully you’ll join our team, but we hope you at least say hi.

We’ll see you at WPUNJ Club Fair on Thursday, January 22nd, 2015 at Common Hour in the University Ballrooms!

HCXO

SourcesForbesRep image – Taken by Salvatore Gerard SpaltroEarth First imageThe B.A.B.Y. Dolls imageHer Campus WPUNJ image

Christine is the Co-Founder and former Editor-in-Chief of the WPUNJ branch of Her Campus. She graduated summa cum laude in May 2015 with BAs in English Literature and Secondary Education and a minor in Creative Writing. Christine currently lives in Maryland and likes to visit Washington, DC (but a little part of her will always miss New Jersey). She loves to edit and aspires to write the great American novel... eventually. In her free time, she enjoys reading, writing, hanging out with her husband and corgi puppy, fangirling over Marvel superheroes and Rothy's shoes, and watching Netflix.