This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WMU chapter.

A little about Zach:

He is a senior graduating this April with a focus on secondary education with a major in social studies and a minor in history. He is currently the assistant varsity baseball coach at Schoolcraft High School.

Why did you get involved with coaching baseball?

I got involved with baseball for several reasons. First, I have always had a passion for baseball. Second, I like to help students outside the classroom as well as inside. On the baseball field I get to teach qualities such as teamwork and the importance of communication, which sometimes is difficult in an economics classroom. I also feel that it is important to see student’s skills that are not classroom related. I was strongly influenced by several of my coaches and teachers in the past, and I feel that it is my responsibility to pay it forward.

What is your favorite part of coaching?

My favorite part of coaching is watching players develop skills over time; it is exciting for both the coach and the players when new skills are acquired.

When did you start coaching?

I started coaching several years after I graduated high school. In high school I played for Courtney Jasiak (Schoolcraft’s current head coach) after graduating I assisted him at Paw Paw High School, a year or two later I was the head freshman baseball coach at Mattawan High School. Currently I am assistant varsity coach at Schoolcraft High School with Coach Courtney Jasiak, its crazy how things work out. GO EAGLES!!!!

Would you recommend coaching to others?

I would definitely recommend coaching to my peers and friends. I would warn them that coaching is a very time consuming job, but the pros outweigh the cons.

Do you have any advice for those who want get involved with coaching?

The only advice I would give is to always remain patient with players and students. The skills that are acquired on the field and in the classroom take time to develop. This job can be irritating at times, but it is fun and rewarding.

I am a sophmore at Western Michigan University. I'm double majoring in political science and enviromental studies, and double minoring in gender and women's studies and journalism.I love's reading the newspaper, I'm a self-proclaimed news junkie. I also love volunteering, spending time with my friends. In my rare free time I love to watch movies and televison shows a season at a time. I comedies, espically British comedies, the dryer the better! I also love spending time out side, whether it's camping, hiking, or just enjoying our world's natural beauty.My future plans include saving the earth from climate change and ensuring women's equality, well those are my long time goals anyway. After college I plan to work as a legislative aid or a political reporter. I currently serve as Her Campus WMU's senator in the Western Student Association. I also work as a reporter at my home town newspaper, The South County News.To my friends I'm known as the poltical coffee addicted shoeaholic feminist, but you can call me Morgan. Follow me on Twitter: @macfarlane_mOr email me: morgan.k.macfarlane@wmich.edu 
Katie King is a senior at Western Michigan University majoring in journalism and minoring in anthropology and gender and women's studies. This will be her second year writing for HerCampus and before that she wrote for the Western Herald. She also wrote for L7 women's magazine in the summer of 2012. In her spare time Katie likes to hang out with friends, watch reruns of old shows and talk about why Chicago is better than Michigan. When she graduates she hopes to move to New York with her tabby cat, Ellie and write for a fashion magazine. However, she changes her mind quite often so who knows where she will end up!