Why the Mary Tyler Moore Show is Still Relevant Today

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WMU chapter.

Mary Tyler Moore died on Wednesday, January 25, at the age of 80 years-old. I know what some of you are probably thinking…WHO? Moore was a huge star in the 1960s and 1970s and had her own self-titled show, The Mary Tyler Moore Show. Some of you I’m sure have seen the famous image or video of her throwing up her beret up in the air but that’s not why I’m writing this story. The Mary Tyler Moore Show shattered the glass ceiling with some controversial but important topics that are still very relevant today.

The Mary Tyler Moore show aired from 1970 to 1977, and was a popular show that aired across the nation on Saturday nights. During the shows seven year run, it broke down a lot of walls.  “This show was the first (scripted) show in TV history ever to use the word “gay” to refer to homosexuality”, according to Valerie Harper and Cloris Leachman (two of the stars on the show). Not only that but it was first show to talk about equal pay in the work place for women. Another controversial topic that was talked about was going on the pill, which many work place insurance plans still do not include for their female workers. The show ended up becoming “paradigm of the women’s liberation movement and is credited with inspiring women to break the mold confining them as wives and homemakers”, according to the Huffington Post.

I found all of this so interesting because in the 1970s women in the workforce was an uncommon thing. This show changed all of that and even inspired many of today’s influential women. “I think Mary Tyler Moore has probably had more influence on my career than any other single person or force,” said Oprah Winfrey. Moore was the reason that the show had this view on women, she considered herself a feminist in every way.

With everything going on in today’s society, the show is still relevant today. On Saturday, January 21, millions of people across the globe marched for equal rights of all kinds. Though it’s sad that we still have to protest for equal rights, without the show, some of these rights may have never been brought to the surface like they have.

So thank you Mary Tyler Moore, we throw our hats up to you!!

© copyright 1999-2017 Getty Images

Hi!!!  I'm Kaitlyn Sulka, I am a senior at Western Michigan University and I'm studying journalism with a minor in history (Horray for history)!! When I'm not in school, bossing my co-workers around or hanging out with the best dog in the world (yes, my dog is better than yours), you will find me doing basic white girl things like drinking wine (Moscato in case you were all wondering) and watching the Bachelor. I also enjoy kickboxing, yoga, SoulCycling, dancing (no not in the club) and running...so yeah I'm pretty badass. Okay that's all! XOXO, Gossip Girl ;)
I am a senior at Western Michigan University studying all sorts of things. Film, Video, and Media Studies Major with minors in Journalism and English: Rhetoric and Writing Studies. I can basically do it all.. You can normally find me dancing my booty off to live music, yelling at the Detroit Red Wings through the TV screen or trying to be crafty. I like to write. I like to take photographs of nature on my fancy camera. And I like to pet my cat.