Why He Hates Hearing..”Do I Look Fat?”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WMU chapter.

I know a lot of women look to their boyfriends for comfort or reassurance when they feel fat in an outfit. I also know that there are many women who know they don’t look fat, but ask their guy anyway just so that he can call her crazy for saying such a thing. To be fair, I will admit to doing both and I am pretty sure most women have as well. 

While this tactic might give women a confidence boost for a quick second or calm them down from freaking out about their weight, we need to learn how to stay away from the dreaded question of, “Does this make me look fat??” Here are five reasons why he doesn’t want to hear that:

1. They feel helpless:

No matter how many times they say “No” to this question, they know they aren’t getting anywhere. If a woman really thinks that she is fat, what she wants to hear isn’t going to drastically change how she feels.

They are going to be bothered by the fact that they can’t change your mind or make you feel better about yourself. It can drive them crazy knowing that they can’t get you to stop thinking that you’re fat. 

Also, men are not dumb. They know that it is in their best interest to always say “no” to this question. This can leave them feeling helpless because they only have one option. In their minds, they know they can’t say, “Yes darling, you look rather large in your attire, maybe you should change,” even if that is how they feel! By asking this question to a man, the woman already knows what to expect to hear. 

2. It kills the mood:

By asking this question, you are being a Negative Nancy. It sets bad vibes in the air and can ruin a good time. This question can also put the guy being asked in an awkward situation. It can cause him to act funny if he’s not good with words or advice. 

If the woman is not reassured by the answer she gets, it can cause her to be left in a bad mood. When a woman is in put a bad mood, it’s pretty difficult to get her out of it, especially if it is concerning her weight. There are two things that women will always be self-conscious about, her age and her weight! 

3. It links you with the word “fat”:

Sometimes after being asked numerous times, the guy will start to question whether or not you really are fat. If you honestly think you are, then he will wonder, “Wow, is she actually fat?” Once you say it enough, he could start to connect you and the word “fat” in his mind. 

After a guy asks himself if you actually are fat, he can start to wonder if you think he might be fat! I know it seems crazy, but this does actually happen, men have feelings too! If it does happen, he could start thinking he’s fat or that you might look at him and think he is. Now, everyone is feeling insecure! No bueno. 

4. They like options when asked questions:

The more you ask him, the more irritated and annoyed he’ll get. If he really thought you were too fat for his liking, then he wouldn’t be dating you in the first place. Therefore, you probably have nothing to worry about.

If you are one of those girls who just likes to hear a guy argue with her about how she doesn’t look fat, try asking different questions to boost your confidence. Instead you could ask, “Do you like my outfit?” or “How do I look?” Asking these kinds of questions allows them to search for a better answer instead of simply just replying with a yes or no. Also, these questions are asked in a more positive way, whereas asking someone if you look fat already has a negative tone to the question. 

5. Confidence is sexy

Ask any guy what makes a female sexy and almost all of them will tell you, “confidence.” When a woman is comfortable with herself and her body, she automatically becomes five times sexier. How do you expect anyone else to love you and your body if you don’t love yourself and it first? But be careful, there is a fine line between confident and cocky!

Women need to stop asking this question is because men hate it. Other women hate it. It’s a question that no one likes to answer. Besides, the person asking that question should focus on what they see and believe about themselves instead of what other people think. If you feel like you look fat in an outfit, change your outfit! If you change your outfit and still think your fat, change your attitude. If you change your attitude and you still feel fat, then change your habits, do something about it. Once you feel good about your own body, you won’t have to ask people if you look fat. Either you will already know, or you won’t care! This is not only a more comfortable situation for you, but for the people who get asked the question as well. 

So, the next time you put on an outfit, instead of asking someone, “Do I look fat in this?” you need to tell yourself, “I look great.” If you don’t believe it just yet, then change your outfit! Just don’t ask him. 

Katie King is a senior at Western Michigan University majoring in journalism and minoring in anthropology and gender and women's studies. This will be her second year writing for HerCampus and before that she wrote for the Western Herald. She also wrote for L7 women's magazine in the summer of 2012. In her spare time Katie likes to hang out with friends, watch reruns of old shows and talk about why Chicago is better than Michigan. When she graduates she hopes to move to New York with her tabby cat, Ellie and write for a fashion magazine. However, she changes her mind quite often so who knows where she will end up!