Who’s Patrick?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WMU chapter.

photo credit: AndrewDallos Happy St. Patrick’s Day from NYC via photopin (license)

“Is this the Krusty Krab? No, this is Patrick.”

St. Patrick’s Day is remembered by the green attire, sometimes light up green clothing, the iconic McDonald’s shamrock shake and the celebration of getting plastered with loads of green beer and Guinness. But who is Patrick? Only a few know the actually meaning behind the holiday, normally those few are the Irish folks, but most college students refer to this holiday as a excuse to party… but it is much more. According to an article from Penn Live, St. Patrick, or Magonius Sucatus Patricius, spent six years in captivity in Ireland. He devoted himself to being a Christian and is remembered for converting the Irish to Christianity. St. Patrick died on March 17th, which is now known as a national holiday.

In recent years, the celebration of St. Patty has turned into an opportunity for drunken disorder. Stereotypes of Irishmen start to arrive, including the idea of a leprechaun wearing a tall hat and dressing in shamrocks. But the shamrock has a history of its own. An article in the Sun explains that the shamrock came from St. Patrick and a legend says that the symbol was used to teach about the holy trinity. No one knows the exact reason behind it but because St. Patrick is known by his work in religious practice, historians believe the shamrock was used in this way.

Continuing down the timeline of partying, the shamrock carries the tradition celebrated in Ireland of “drowning the shamrock.” This tradition involves “putting a shamrock at the bottom of a cup and filling it up with whiskey or beer before it’s than drank.” The wet shamrock is now drunk or tossed over the shoulder for good luck. So remember to incorporate this drinking tradition in your next year’s celebration. You will at least be sort of celebrating the holiday correctly. Well closer than dressing up as a leprechaun and drinking the only Irish beer you know, Guinness.  

I am a senior at Western Michigan University studying all sorts of things. Film, Video, and Media Studies Major with minors in Journalism and English: Rhetoric and Writing Studies. I can basically do it all.. You can normally find me dancing my booty off to live music, yelling at the Detroit Red Wings through the TV screen or trying to be crafty. I like to write. I like to take photographs of nature on my fancy camera. And I like to pet my cat.