Top Five Fall Fashion Trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WMU chapter.

Fall is here! The leaves are changing, the weather is getting cooler and the fashion is warming up. The weather is pretty erratic here in Michigan during this time of year, so it’s important to be prepared for whatever Mother Nature may bring. But who says you can’t look good while doing it?

The Rain Boot
Living in Kalamazoo Michigan, with its constant change in weather and excessive amount of precipitation, can be a major challenge. At WMU, we come prepared for whatever, which is why the rain boot is an essential here on campus. Not only is it ideal for those horrendous rainy days, but they are also surprisingly stylish and affordable.
Women’s Polka Dot Rain Boots – White/Black: Target, $32.99

The Oversized Cardigan
One minute it may be sunny and warm, the next cool and cloudy, so it’s always a good idea to come prepared. An oversized cardigan is super soft, extremely versatile and perfect for this time of year. This sweater makes a superb layering piece because you can throw it over virtually anything, not to mention its guaranteed coziness is always a plus.
BDG Marled Cable Fisherman Cardigan: Urban Outfitters, $69.00

The Leather Jacket
The leather Jacket is one of those pieces in your wardrobe that you can just grab and go, and it always looks good. Whether you pair it with a pair of jeans, or a floral dress, you know you’re going to be right on trend. Leather jackets give off that “bad to the bone” vibe, but paired with something feminine they can be très chic.
Faux Leather Jacket: Forever 21, $32.80

Plaid
You can do no wrong with plaid during the fall season. From plaid shoes, to plaid accessories, and plaid tops, plaid is everywhere. There is nothing easier than throwing on a plaid flannel shirt for those breezy fall days for an effortless look.
AE Favorite Flannel Shirt: American Eagle, $39.50     Xhiliration Plaid Ruched Scarf: Target, $14.99

The Blazer
A great way to add some chic-ness to any outfit is with a blazer. Go classy with a black blazer, or play up your personality with a pop of color or a fun pattern.  Blazers can be worn with virtually anything, which is why they make a great staple in any fall wardrobe.
Topstitch Blazer w/ Pinstripe Lining: Forever 21, $29.80

So what are your favorite trends on campus this fall? Leave us a comment and let us know!

Editor: Gena Riest
Katelyn Kivel is a senior at Western Michigan University studying Public Law with minors in Communications and Women's Studies. Kate took over WMU's branch of Her Campus in large part due to her background in journalism, having spent a year as Production Editor of St. Clair County Community College's Erie Square Gazette. Kate speaks English and Japanese and her WMU involvement includes being a Senator and former Senior Justice of the Western Student Association as well as President of WMU Anime Addicts and former Secretary of WMU's LBGT organization OUTspoken, and she is currently establishing the RSO President's Summit of Western Michigan University, an group composed of student organization presidents for cross-promotion and collaboration purposes. Her interests include reading and writing, both creative and not, as well as the more nerdy fringes of popular culture.