Spring Fashion Trends According Two WMU Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WMU chapter.

With spring just about here— just kidding, it’s still snowing. It’s April and it’s still snowing. Mother Nature might be pulling an awful April Fool’s joke on the people of Michigan and we are not taking it lightly.

Snow has over stayed its welcome and green grass and leaves on the trees are sorely missed. We’re tired of wearing big, clunky snow boots; we want sandals and tank-tops now.

This winter, studded boots and leather jackets were very popular. Big comfy sweaters and leggings also hung on for the ride and even though the ride isn’t over yet, style planning for spring is as crucial as the internet for a social media junkie.

Courtney Matlock, a second-year fashion student at Western Michigan University is ready for spring and fearless of any new trend, Matlock talked about what’s going to be hot this spring; besides the shirtless guys who play volleyball on campus, that is.

Matlock said, “With colors, pastels are going to be popular again. Colors like sea foam green, light coral and a light teal are going to be everywhere.”  

“When it comes to shirts, there’ll be some of the 50s coming back. Business and classy chic are in and crop tops will be huge.”.

“High wasted shorts and color cropped pants are definitely in.”    

“For shoes, chunky heels, wedges, and gladiator scandals are a few styles that will be popular.”

“Studs and rhinestones are obviously big right now.”

“To sum up this spring’s style, I would say it’s classy chic with a punk edge.”

Michelle Wellman, another fashion student at WMU, had a few more pointers.

“This spring’s fashion will be heavily mod. Shift dresses, which are dresses that aren’t form fitting, will be popular as well as blunt bangs and geometric patterns,” Wellman said.

And, “Gold. Gold is going to be major.”

With all of these cute clothes it’s hard not to get excited about the closet switch we all make when spring finally arrives. By utilizing these tips, there’s no way you won’t have fabulous style! 

Hannah is a Journalism and Creative Writing major at Western Michigan University. She has an enormous love for book/TV series like Game of Thrones, Teen Wolf, True Blood, Supernatural, Doctor Who, etc. She writes for two school newspapers, The Western Herald and The White Goat. She's very active, works out a lot, and is in the Theatre for Community Health at WMU. She plans to work for the entertainment industry as a journalist and live in L.A. hannah.r.ball@wmich.edu https://twitter.com/HannahRubyisms
Katie King is a senior at Western Michigan University majoring in journalism and minoring in anthropology and gender and women's studies. This will be her second year writing for HerCampus and before that she wrote for the Western Herald. She also wrote for L7 women's magazine in the summer of 2012. In her spare time Katie likes to hang out with friends, watch reruns of old shows and talk about why Chicago is better than Michigan. When she graduates she hopes to move to New York with her tabby cat, Ellie and write for a fashion magazine. However, she changes her mind quite often so who knows where she will end up!