RSO Spotlight- Hillel

Posted -

The Hillel Campus Alliance of Michigan is a community that serves the Jewish community in several universities across the Great Lakes State. They have several affiliates at institutions such as Alma, Grand Valley, and Michigan Tech. Hillel’s presence is also at Western to serve the Jewish community here.

For Yom Kipper, the Jewish Day of Atonement, several Hillel students fasted. As sundown approached, students gathered at Faunce to break the fast. Prayers and challah (a Jewish bread served on holidays and Sabbath) were shared. A meal of kosher Panera Bread dishes, including cheese, hummus, and tuna sandwiches, commenced shortly afterwards.

Hillel holds Shabbat dinners every two weeks to bring members together. The next one will take place on October 26th. A havdalah ceremony will be taking place on the 20th of October. More information about the location of these events can be found on their Facebook page.

Daniel Gaynor, Hillel’s Vice President, states, “Our presence is for Jewish students but we like to educate and welcome anyone to our events.”

College is hard. We make it easier!

Get the best of Her Campus delivered straight to your inbox!

Editor's Note

Did you know that 45 percent of college women are leaning toward voting for Bernie Sanders in the 2016 presidential election?

Find out more--check out HC's pre-election survey results now!

We Recommend

User login