In a Relationship….and Not Happy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WMU chapter.

We’ve all heard it, whether it be in passing or from a friend, or we were the ones actually saying it; “I don’t know why I’m with him, I don’t want to be single though.” 

A few days ago I overheard a classmate say those very words to her friend and it got me thinking, when did the fear of being alone cause us to stay with someone who turns out to be completely wrong for us?  More importantly, why are college-age women worried about being single?

As young adult women we dwell not only on fashion and celebrities, but on relationships as well, whether we are a part of one or not. Not to say that a relationship isn’t a nice thing, it’s a great thing, but it’s becoming more common that girls aren’t standing up for themselves for fear of falling into that dreaded status: single.

My fellow classmate went on to say that her boyfriend calls ‘breaks’ in their relationship whenever he feels like she is asking too many questions. She asked her friend what she should do, because she thinks he is cheating on her, but is scared that asking him about her suspicions will cause him to leave her. The friend, without missing a beat, told her to dump him.

We’re in college. We are still figuring out who are and what in the world we’re actually doing here. I don’t think being a single lady in college is going to define anyone’s future and future relationships. Yes, I could be wrong, but I doubt I am.

This girl was terrified of being single, which leads me to ask, is a woman’s dependence defined by who she surrounds herself with? I would sure hope not. I have always said that my independence is never measured by dependence on a man. And it’s true. I’ve dated and been in a couple serious relationships in my day, and when the relationship meets its expiration date, I’m still the same person at the end of the day. The word ‘single’ isn’t a scary word for me.

Being fresh out of a relationship and being on your own is nerve-racking for anyone, we all can agree on that; yet I find it scarier to be in a relationship that has stopped growing and is only being held together by fear of the world outside of couple’s land.  Let me tell you, the world is full of people who are just as single as you are, and we all seem to be making it. (There’s hope? Yup.)

Holding onto something that has lost its wheels and isn’t moving forward is detrimental to anyone’s mental state. Being in a relationship shouldn’t be about constantly molding something to make it work, it usually works on its own. It isn’t about being single, it’s about seeing that your significant other is not respecting you, and you shouldn’t settle in a relationship like that.

No one should stay in a relationship that is causes heartache and unneeded stress. When the relationship has lost the respect component, it’s time to call it quits before you start to lose respect for yourself because you’re scared about changing your Facebook status.  

I always find self-written bios to be kind of awkward, but throwing modesty out the window, here goes nothing: Hi, my birth name is Sara but I feel as though most of Kalamazoo knows me as Hollywood, which has been my nickname for several years now. The nickname was given to me when I played rugby for WMU, and it just stuck. This is a chance to set aside my ultra ego, and dive into the opinions and thoughts of Sara rather than the outrageous, unbelievable adventures of Hollywood. A little about me: I am studying Communication Studies and Nonprofit Leadership at Western Michigan. I think I'm almost done, but with college, who actually knows. My ultimate goal would be to have my own column in a women's health magazine that talks about nutrition, exercise, and maintaining a positive outlook on life as a woman. But if that doesn't pan out, I figure I would own my own hotdog stand, so I got options. Unlike most people, I love running and exercising. A few years back I had something devastating happen to me, and the way that I found happiness again was through a healthy diet, learning about nutrition, and working out. I completed two triathlons this summer, and in one of them I placed in the top 10 for the 29 and below age group. Now that I have conquered the triathlon, I don't know what's next off my bucket list that I want to conquer. (May be Brazil??) I am not a 'down-to-earth' person, rather, I like a busy life and I like being involved whether it be getting involved in volunteering or just trolling around Kalamazoo with my friends. I'm always on the go and I like it that way. But as of now, I'm just a twenty-something girl with a zest for adventure with an empty wallet who is making due with exploring all what Kalamazoo has to offer. If you see me out, I'll be the girl with red shoes and a mustache tattooed on her finger. I usually refer to myself as not the girl next door, but the girl two doors down; I have a little more life lessons under my belt and a different outlook on life. http://theblacksheeponline.com/author/sara-czarnecki twitter: @sarasuzieczar
Katie King is a senior at Western Michigan University majoring in journalism and minoring in anthropology and gender and women's studies. This will be her second year writing for HerCampus and before that she wrote for the Western Herald. She also wrote for L7 women's magazine in the summer of 2012. In her spare time Katie likes to hang out with friends, watch reruns of old shows and talk about why Chicago is better than Michigan. When she graduates she hopes to move to New York with her tabby cat, Ellie and write for a fashion magazine. However, she changes her mind quite often so who knows where she will end up!