Rainy Day Fashion Dos and Don’ts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WMU chapter.

Spring is just around the corner and it is definitely the rainy season. Michigan weather can be such a drag around this time of year and it’s hard to know what exactly to wear when you are getting ready for classes, going out, work, etc. Here are some helpful fashion tips that you can follow in order to spice up your pre-spring wardrobe. 

Do’s: 

This kind of weather can be rather depressing, so don’t be afraid to add a little color in order to make yourself stand out and lift your mood. Bright colors can be added to almost any outfit, whether it’s the clothes themselves or the accessories that you can pair with the clothes. Around this time of year, brightly colored things can be found at just about any store, and you can get them pretty cheap, depending on where you go. At Target, there are bright scarves with several different designs, available for $15.00. If you pair the scarf with a plain shirt, it takes a simple outfit and turns it into a really fashionable one.

A necessity for wardrobes around this time of year is a pair of rain boots. They aren’t very expensive, depending on where you go for them, and they can go with almost any outfit. They are a fashionable way to keep your feet dry while walking through the puddles on campus. A lot of girls are against wearing rain boots because they think they are “dorky” or for little kids. But the truth is, they are very much in style now and are very convenient for this not-so-great weather we will be having.

The second most important necessity is an umbrella. Don’t go out and spend a lot of money on an umbrella that you think will last you for quite some time because the truth is, it won’t. Umbrellas get lost, stolen and broken all the time. Especially with the wind that we have been having lately, it is not uncommon for an umbrella to get blown inside out and break. We have all had it happen to us before and it is very inconvenient. So if you buy a couple cheap umbrellas, one you use and one you keep as a spare, then you will be all set on those rainy days. When picking out an umbrella, try picking a neutral color that will go with quite a bit. That way, it will go with almost any outfit and coat that you decide to wear on that particular day. 

Something to really pay attention to when you are getting dressed is the color of your pants. If you are wearing jeans, make sure they are darker colored if it is raining out. Dark colors show rain spots a lot less than light colors do so it will be less noticeable if you get your jeans wet when you are outside. If you decide to wear leggings or anything along that kind of material, try not to wear ones that are too thin because if they get even slightly wet, you will be able to see through them, which can be very embarrassing if you ever find yourself in that situation. 

Don’ts: 

Something that really needs to be paid attention to during this time of year is the type of shoes that you wear. It is completely miserable sitting in class or stuck at work after you have stepped in a puddle and water completely soaked through your shoes. So be smart when adding the finishing touches on your outfit. Last week, I made the mistake of wearing Sperry’s through the water. Even after putting leather protectant on them, the water seeped through the leather, soaked my feet and ruined my Sperry’s. Stick to shoes that are pleather, rubber or even shoes that have a higher heel on them that would keep them lifted when walking through puddles. 

Try not to pay too much attention to “100% waterproof” when shopping for rain coats or trench coats. It is very hard to stay completely dry in this weather and you will honestly just waste your time if you try to find something that will keep you from getting any water on you. It is possible, but not with the average college students’ budget. 

Rain is not a girl’s best friend when it comes to hair. This time of year, it doesn’t really make sense to put a lot of time into your hair when you know 10 minutes into being outside, it won’t look the same as it did. But if you are one of those girls that put a lot of effort into their hair, there are some products that you can use that will help maintain your hairstyle. John Frieda’s anti-frizz crème is a product that I use quite frequently. It keeps the frizz down that can result from humidity and it doesn’t give your hair the dirty look like many other products do. Also there are many different “anti-humidity” hairsprays and gels that can be put into the hair that counter the effects of the rain. 

Just because the weather is dreary, doesn’t mean that your outfit and mood have to be! There are so many things that you can do, fashion wise, in order to ensure you look cute but are still dressed for the weather at the same time. Think about how you normally dress on a rainy day. Do you use any of these tips? If not, try one of them!

Katie King is a senior at Western Michigan University majoring in journalism and minoring in anthropology and gender and women's studies. This will be her second year writing for HerCampus and before that she wrote for the Western Herald. She also wrote for L7 women's magazine in the summer of 2012. In her spare time Katie likes to hang out with friends, watch reruns of old shows and talk about why Chicago is better than Michigan. When she graduates she hopes to move to New York with her tabby cat, Ellie and write for a fashion magazine. However, she changes her mind quite often so who knows where she will end up!