Next Music Hurricane: Cassadee Pope

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WMU chapter.

Pope. Cassadee Pope. The 23-year-old is the newest and freshest artist to look out for in the music world ever since she won season three of NBC’s The Voice.  

She was the last blind audition on the show with her performance of “Torn” by Natalie Imbruglia.

All four of the judges, Adam Levine, Christina Aguilera, Blake Shelton, and Cee Lo Green, turned their chairs around, wanting the pop-punk artist on their team. Pope picked Blake Shelton to be her mentor, and she quickly became a fan favorite around the world.

On The Voice she covered songs by Avril Lavigne, Kelly Clarkston, Keith Urban, Rascal Flats, Sheryl Crow, Faith Hill, Adam Levine, Gavin Degraw, and many other artists. She even covered a song by her mentor, Blake Shelton. The song “Over You” about Shelton’s brother’s death was an emotional performance for Pope, Shelton, and the rest of the judges.

She also sang a duet with her idol, Avril Lavigne on the show.

Pope first started singing in middle school and co-founded the band “Hey Monday” with guitarist Mike Gentile. The band released their debut album “Hold on Tight” and a few EPs in 2010 and 2011.

The members of “Hey Monday” are close to Pete Wentz of Fall Out Boy. Pope was in the band’s music video for “America’s Suitehearts”. She may be featured in more Fall Out Boy music videos and songs since the band announced their reunion along with new music and a tour.

“Hey Monday” went on break in December 2012 and Pope launched her solo career with her self-titled EP and appearance on The Voice. Her style since “Hey Monday” has drastically changed, and her music and voice have only improved. Weeks after winning the competition, Pope signed with Republic Nashville/Big Machine Label Group. The artist has been writing new music ever since and the world is eagerly awaiting a release date for her next album.  

Unsurprisingly, Pope is not single and ready to mingle. She has been in a relationship with Rian Dawson, the drummer of pop-punk band All Time Low, for over two years. With the adorable pictures and conversations on Twitter between the two, it’s obvious they will be the next Brangelina.  

Cassadee Pope not only won The Voice and $100,000, she won the hearts and ears of many people across the world. Her next album will no doubt surpass all of our expectations and she will make her mark on the world.

Hannah is a Journalism and Creative Writing major at Western Michigan University. She has an enormous love for book/TV series like Game of Thrones, Teen Wolf, True Blood, Supernatural, Doctor Who, etc. She writes for two school newspapers, The Western Herald and The White Goat. She's very active, works out a lot, and is in the Theatre for Community Health at WMU. She plans to work for the entertainment industry as a journalist and live in L.A. hannah.r.ball@wmich.edu https://twitter.com/HannahRubyisms
Katie King is a senior at Western Michigan University majoring in journalism and minoring in anthropology and gender and women's studies. This will be her second year writing for HerCampus and before that she wrote for the Western Herald. She also wrote for L7 women's magazine in the summer of 2012. In her spare time Katie likes to hang out with friends, watch reruns of old shows and talk about why Chicago is better than Michigan. When she graduates she hopes to move to New York with her tabby cat, Ellie and write for a fashion magazine. However, she changes her mind quite often so who knows where she will end up!