This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WMU chapter.

Did you know that shampoo can stripe your hair of its natural oils?

Neither did I… After being told this I freaked out. Not in a world-is-ending kind of way, it was more like: what? But my hair looks so good! Let’s just say after hearing that information I was pretty skeptical so I did so research. I found that it is true; shampoo can damage your hair by striping it of its natural oils.

From my research I learned that you don’t need to use shampoo, there are other different methods of all naturally washing your hair. I read tons of websites about all these people who swear by natural washing. I thought about it, and decided to try it! What could it hurt?

I have been naturally washing my hair for a month now and I love it! My hair is still super clean and shiny, plus I have already noticed that my hair is not nearly as greasy as it used to be. I used to wash my hair everyday, which is also something that you are not supposed to do, because it also stripes hair of its natural oils. This causes your hair to produce more oil, making your hair greasy. When I was using shampoo I had to wash my hair everyday because it would get so greasy. Now I can easily wash my hair every other day, and it doesn’t get greasy at all!

On top of my hair improving, it is so much cheaper to wash my hair naturally! Before I was probably spending about $5 a month on shampoo and conditioner, about $60 a year! Now I will probably spend about $5 a year on what it takes to make shampoo and conditioner naturally! That’s $55 a year, for those who say that’s not that much you’re saving, I say you are wrong! I always need $55, I’m currently quite broke!

I think the best benefit is that is actually saves me time! Weird right? But when I’m naturally washing my hair it only take about a minute to rise the shampoo and conditioner out. Verses the good ten minutes it takes me to rise out the non-natural shampoo and conditioner. In addition, I only wash my hair four times a week with natural washing, compared to seven times a week with non-natural washing. On average this is saving me about two hours of my time. That may sound excessive, but I love a nice long hot shower, reducing them is simply giving me more time!

How do I naturally wash my hair? Well let me tell you! I want to start off by saying that there are tons of different recipes for natural shampoo and conditioner. Some are complicated and some involve two ingredients. Being broke, has lead me to go with the al-cheapo route. I found this recipe on many different websites. For the shampoo you need water and baking soda. For every cup of water you use, you need a tablespoon of baking soda. You need lemon juice or apple cider vinegar and water for the conditioner, for every cup of water add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar or lemon juice. I like to make a gallon of each, which I keep in my bathroom. That way I can fill the bottles I keep in my shower. I use a bottle with a nozzle for the shampoo, and I use a spray bottle for the conditioner.

For washing your hair naturally, I have found that when applying shampoo, it works best if you can pour little amounts in your hair to lightly run in. This is why I think the nozzle works the best; it also allows you to get it directly on your roots. For me I only really need to wash my roots. The rest of my hair can just be rinsed with water. It’s good to rub the shampoo in your hair lightly, try massaging your scalp to get your roots nice and clean. After rinsing out the shampoo I like to have the spray bottle to lightly mist my hair with the conditioner. I mist all of my hair and I do my best to massage it in my hair as well. Then I rise out the conditioner and I’m ready to go!

I took me about two weeks to see improvements in my hair, and to get used to this new system. Some people have reported there hair becoming gross, and ugly looking for the first two weeks they tried natural hair washing. Everyone I read that happened too also said that after the first two weeks there hair became nice looking and improved overall.

Some who have been naturally washing their hair for years now claim that they don’t even have to naturally wash their hair anymore. They can just rinse it, and they’re good to go! Crazy right? I’m not sure if my hair will ever be at that point, but it is cool to imagine that it might be one day.

I have loved my experience with natural washing for many reasons. After having a great first month naturally washing, I am thinking that I might try to make a harder recipe. 

I am a sophmore at Western Michigan University. I'm double majoring in political science and enviromental studies, and double minoring in gender and women's studies and journalism.I love's reading the newspaper, I'm a self-proclaimed news junkie. I also love volunteering, spending time with my friends. In my rare free time I love to watch movies and televison shows a season at a time. I comedies, espically British comedies, the dryer the better! I also love spending time out side, whether it's camping, hiking, or just enjoying our world's natural beauty.My future plans include saving the earth from climate change and ensuring women's equality, well those are my long time goals anyway. After college I plan to work as a legislative aid or a political reporter. I currently serve as Her Campus WMU's senator in the Western Student Association. I also work as a reporter at my home town newspaper, The South County News.To my friends I'm known as the poltical coffee addicted shoeaholic feminist, but you can call me Morgan. Follow me on Twitter: @macfarlane_mOr email me: morgan.k.macfarlane@wmich.edu 
I always find self-written bios to be kind of awkward, but throwing modesty out the window, here goes nothing: Hi, my birth name is Sara but I feel as though most of Kalamazoo knows me as Hollywood, which has been my nickname for several years now. The nickname was given to me when I played rugby for WMU, and it just stuck. This is a chance to set aside my ultra ego, and dive into the opinions and thoughts of Sara rather than the outrageous, unbelievable adventures of Hollywood. A little about me: I am studying Communication Studies and Nonprofit Leadership at Western Michigan. I think I'm almost done, but with college, who actually knows. My ultimate goal would be to have my own column in a women's health magazine that talks about nutrition, exercise, and maintaining a positive outlook on life as a woman. But if that doesn't pan out, I figure I would own my own hotdog stand, so I got options. Unlike most people, I love running and exercising. A few years back I had something devastating happen to me, and the way that I found happiness again was through a healthy diet, learning about nutrition, and working out. I completed two triathlons this summer, and in one of them I placed in the top 10 for the 29 and below age group. Now that I have conquered the triathlon, I don't know what's next off my bucket list that I want to conquer. (May be Brazil??) I am not a 'down-to-earth' person, rather, I like a busy life and I like being involved whether it be getting involved in volunteering or just trolling around Kalamazoo with my friends. I'm always on the go and I like it that way. But as of now, I'm just a twenty-something girl with a zest for adventure with an empty wallet who is making due with exploring all what Kalamazoo has to offer. If you see me out, I'll be the girl with red shoes and a mustache tattooed on her finger. I usually refer to myself as not the girl next door, but the girl two doors down; I have a little more life lessons under my belt and a different outlook on life. http://theblacksheeponline.com/author/sara-czarnecki twitter: @sarasuzieczar