This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WMU chapter.

Age: 20
Major: Music Education
Minor: Nonprofit Leadership
Hometown: Syracuse, NY
Relationship status: I am in a relationship with a wonderful guy.

How are you involved on campus?
I’ve been a part of the Gold Company program for three years now.  I’ve also been in Cantus Femina (women’s choir) for three years. I was an Orientation Student Leader this past summer as well as a Fall Welcome Ambassador for the past two summers. I was in the Theatre for Community Health, “Risky Business” show this year. I am also a member American Choral Directors Association and Nonprofit Leadership Student Association.

When you were 8 years old what did you want to be when you grew up?
I wanted to be an astronaut!

What is your dream job now?
I plan to start a nonprofit vocal jazz ensemble aimed at high school students.

Where is your favorite place on campus?
My favorite place on campus would have to be on Miller Auditorium stage.  I absolutely love performing, especially during the Gold Company Miller show, which will happen February 11, 2012 this school year. It is just a fantastic experience, full of energy, and it’s student ran. (And yes, that was a shameless plug.)

What is the weirdest thing we would find inside your fridge?
Well, I wouldn’t say anything is overly “weird” in my fridge, although it is kinda weird, I usually buy milk 3 gallons at a time, because I drink milk that much.

If you were an animal what would you be?
If I were an animal, I would probably be a pterodactyl.  They are dinosaurs, so they’re rather old-fashioned, and they fly which represents the freedom with which I try and live my life.

What are your three greatest characteristics?
I think my three greatest characteristics would have to be that I am understanding, happy, and passionate.

Katelyn Kivel is a senior at Western Michigan University studying Public Law with minors in Communications and Women's Studies. Kate took over WMU's branch of Her Campus in large part due to her background in journalism, having spent a year as Production Editor of St. Clair County Community College's Erie Square Gazette. Kate speaks English and Japanese and her WMU involvement includes being a Senator and former Senior Justice of the Western Student Association as well as President of WMU Anime Addicts and former Secretary of WMU's LBGT organization OUTspoken, and she is currently establishing the RSO President's Summit of Western Michigan University, an group composed of student organization presidents for cross-promotion and collaboration purposes. Her interests include reading and writing, both creative and not, as well as the more nerdy fringes of popular culture.