Learn Something New Every Day: Mystery Man

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WMU chapter.

We both know we are looking. Not looking, staring. Trying to read each other’s faces. WHERE have I seen you before?

But hey! You’re also sexy and I’m going to look at you and I can’t help but stare!
I spend my entire Tuesday in class staring over at him. When he catches me looking, I cant help but feel a little embarrassed and immediately look away. Then I spend the entire class period deciding if I want to talk to him after class about how I know him. What would I even say if I got enough motivation? What if HE comes up to me first?

We locked eyes again! I wonder what he’s thinking… why don’t either of us smile? We just look. How am I supposed to decipher what he’s thinking if there is no SMILE?

Man, he looks good sitting in that desk.
I’m a chicken. Not talking to him after. That would be weird anyway.

Thursday.
We have already caught eyes and class hasn’t even started! UGH I’m an idiot for not catching him on Tuesday.

OMG. He just took off his sweatshirt. Look at those arm muscles! So defined. Am I staring again. WHERE do I know him from?? Maybe I should talk to him today. Ah, no. He was the first person out of class. 

Friday Night.
At a friend’s party and who do I see? Mystery man.
It all comes back to me now. I saw him at a bar, hanging out with my friends!
This time we talked at the party, so in class this Tuesday, I’m totally going to talk to him.
Maybe even sit by him?? The possibilities are endless.

Tuesday
He walks into class. We make eye contact and – oh my goodness- a SMILE. We smiled! It has been acknowledged that we have MET before! Perfect. Now I just need to get my courage together and say hi to him.

After class- I chicken out again. AND he leaves with another girl from class.
I just want to be friends with him! GEEZ! Why is this so difficult??

Thursday
I feel like I’ve built up my courage today. Half an hour into class I realize that mystery man isn’t coming today. Man, this is the craziest thing ever.

Honestly, this is kind of fun. Noticed that I still DON’T know his name. JEEZ I need to work on my friend making skills here.

Does anyone else have these awkward relationships with people?? I feel like at least once a semester this happens!!
I guess I’ll have to see what happens in class on Tuesday…

Until next time!
-Alyssa

Katelyn Kivel is a senior at Western Michigan University studying Public Law with minors in Communications and Women's Studies. Kate took over WMU's branch of Her Campus in large part due to her background in journalism, having spent a year as Production Editor of St. Clair County Community College's Erie Square Gazette. Kate speaks English and Japanese and her WMU involvement includes being a Senator and former Senior Justice of the Western Student Association as well as President of WMU Anime Addicts and former Secretary of WMU's LBGT organization OUTspoken, and she is currently establishing the RSO President's Summit of Western Michigan University, an group composed of student organization presidents for cross-promotion and collaboration purposes. Her interests include reading and writing, both creative and not, as well as the more nerdy fringes of popular culture.