Keep calm and go natural

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WMU chapter.

All women, and sometimes even men, know how it feels to have a bad hair day. Those days can seem like the most frustrating ones in your life. They can start your day off badly and at times they will become the deciding factor on whether or not you’ll go out that night.

Personally, I used to think that I had a bad hair life. I would get so discouraged when I couldn’t figure out what to do with my hair. So, I started to hate it no matter what I did. I would stare at girls with perfectly long, straight hair and admire how it just hung effortlessly. But it got to the point where I’d even start to admire anyone’s hair that was perfectly placed in a ponytail, bun or braid because my hair would never look that put together.

Until recently, I used to curse my ethnic background for my kinky hair. Since I’m bi-racial, my hair is naturally curly, dry and thick. It’s also pretty short unless it’s straightened, so I made the extra effort to flat iron it as much as I could. Everyone told me how unhealthy it was to straighten my hair all the time, but I ignored it.

As of recently, I decided to challenge myself and stop straightening my hair for a long time. Although it has been extremely difficult to refrain from picking up the flat iron, I have managed to leave it natural for about four months with the exception of one weekend… It was a special occasion.

Anyway, even in four short months I have noticed my hair has grown a little and is becoming healthier. My curls are more bouncy and when I’m washing my hair I can feel it hanging down lower on my back. I am quite please at the fact that I can resist the temptation of straightening my hair. Plus, it’s very encouraging to be able to see and feel my hair growing.

But the best part of this journey is not the fact that I’m noticing my hair growing healthier and longer, it’s the fact that I am starting to love my natural hair again! I never thought that the day would come where I looked in the mirror after getting out of the shower and said to myself, “I love my curls.”

Naturally, women want the kind of hair that they don’t have. It never fails. While I used to admire the long, straight hair of other girls, they admire my short curly hair simply because they don’t have it. Let’s be honest, as women we get sick of the same hair style. It’s called boredom! This is why we dye, cut, straighten, curl, perm and style our hair. But we need to get out of this habit and embrace our natural hair! Your natural hair is what makes you, you! It’s a part of you that was given to you from the get go. If a woman can learn to love her natural hair, they become one step closer to loving themselves. And there is nothing sexier than confidence!

If you are anything like me and just can’t stand your hair, take care of it more so that it becomes the healthy and beautiful hair that you envy. You’ll love being able to see your hair transform and once it does become healthier, it will feel and seem like a whole new hairdo itself! Another reason why this would be a good idea is because once your hair is healthier, it will be easier and safer to do things to your hair without further damaging it. Let’s face it; we will never stop messing with our hair! So, to make sure that we can still do this without ruining our locks, it makes sense to get your hair at its healthiest.  Plus you would be surprised at how many people will compliment you on your natural hair.

Here are a few quick and easy ways to make your way towards healthier hair:

1. Try to stop putting heat in your hair in any way, shape or form. This includes limitation of curling irons, flat irons and blow dryers! Air dry your hair as much as possible.

2. Find healthy products to keep your hair moisturized instead of using hair spray and gel. For ladies with dry hair, try using olive oil to prevent split ends.

3. Take advantage of leave in conditioner! Conditioning not only leaves your hair shiny, it also helps strengthen it.

4. Comb out your hair after you wash it. Use a wide tooth comb, because if you use a brush then it can cause split ends.

5. Get your hair trimmed every six weeks or so and try to eat foods rich in vitamin E.

Now, of course it’s perfectly ok to change your hair once in a while, but there is no getting rid of the natural hair you were born with. This is why it’s so important to learn to love it. Remember, someone, somewhere would die for your hair, so be proud of it!

Katie King is a senior at Western Michigan University majoring in journalism and minoring in anthropology and gender and women's studies. This will be her second year writing for HerCampus and before that she wrote for the Western Herald. She also wrote for L7 women's magazine in the summer of 2012. In her spare time Katie likes to hang out with friends, watch reruns of old shows and talk about why Chicago is better than Michigan. When she graduates she hopes to move to New York with her tabby cat, Ellie and write for a fashion magazine. However, she changes her mind quite often so who knows where she will end up!