International Flavor returns for 23rd Festival

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WMU chapter.

“Eat your way around the world” with this year’s 23rd Aannual Iinternational Ffestival at the Bernhard center was a great time to for students to come get a small taste of what cultures from all over the world have to offer.

The event generally attracts about 2,000 people a year, and highlights 15 different cultures. The ballroom at the Bernhard center was literally packed! With cultural display tables, food, performances, and even a fashion show, there was something for everyone to enjoy.

The entertainment was fun to watch, with you got to see a variety of different acts showcasing various elements of each culture. There were all types of performances including dancing, storytelling, and puppets, just to name a few.

Admission was free, but for a small fee you could try all the different foods each table had to offer. From traditional Asian to Spanish cuisine, you could sample a little bit of everything. The food served (with the help of the WMU dining services) was prepared in the campus kitchens by international students themselves, and it was excellent!

The experience helped attendees appreciate all the different cultures of the people who call WMU home. One of the cool things about the event was that you really got a feel for each culture as you passed by each their table;. fFrom the food, to the music they were playing and dancing to, and even the clothes they we were wearing. People often don’t get to stop and appreciate what all these other cultures have to offer. The international festival was a fun way for students to share a small piece of their heritage, and learn something new about some of the other students as well.

This year’s international festival was very much a success! If you got the chance to check it out, comment and tell us what you thought!

Editor: Gena Reist

Katelyn Kivel is a senior at Western Michigan University studying Public Law with minors in Communications and Women's Studies. Kate took over WMU's branch of Her Campus in large part due to her background in journalism, having spent a year as Production Editor of St. Clair County Community College's Erie Square Gazette. Kate speaks English and Japanese and her WMU involvement includes being a Senator and former Senior Justice of the Western Student Association as well as President of WMU Anime Addicts and former Secretary of WMU's LBGT organization OUTspoken, and she is currently establishing the RSO President's Summit of Western Michigan University, an group composed of student organization presidents for cross-promotion and collaboration purposes. Her interests include reading and writing, both creative and not, as well as the more nerdy fringes of popular culture.