How to Not look like an Idiot in an Interview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WMU chapter.

Racing pulse, sweat in places you didn’t know could perspire, flushed face, nervous rambling. Obviously I’m talking about an interview; let’s get our minds out of the gutter, people. We’ve all been there– or at least if you’re reading this, you will be. Interviews do seem like the worst thing in the world sometimes, but with some easy steps you can turn an interview into a job.

You’ve just received the call asking you to come in for an interview. After you hang up, don’t freak out. First off, congratulate yourself because they’ve looked at your application and were at least somewhat impressed. You’re already off to a good start. Now, based on what type of job it is, you should dress accordingly. If this is a big, important job, women should wear dress pants or a dress skirt and some kind of blouse or blazer. Men should stick with dress pants, button-down shirts, and a tie. Something nice-looking and work-oriented; it will show your interviewer you’re serious about this job because you didn’t wander in wearing jeans and a t-shirt.

Speaking of wandering in, don’t. Make sure you always show up early for your interview. The night before, plan out directions if you don’t know where the interview is taking place. Maybe do a little research about the place you’re trying to get hired, so if they ask you about their company you don’t just sit there with a blank expression on your face. Set an alarm, maybe two if you’re a lazy bum who doesn’t get up in the morning–whatever it takes to get you up and going. Eat breakfast so you’re not focusing on how good your interviewer’s doughnut looks instead of the questions being asked. Show up to your appointment at least ten minutes early, let the secretary or someone at the front desk know you’ve arrived, and wait quietly for your interviewer to be ready to begin.

When you’re sitting with your interviewer, try to relax. It might be a little awkward if you go to shake their hand and it slips from your grip because of your sweaty palms. Be yourself. I was given a mock interview to see if I had good interviewing skills, and the woman told me she would have hired me in a second just because of my huge smile and bubbly personality. Don’t act fake, but show some enthusiasm! Let them know you want this job and give them a reason why they should hire you and not someone else. Don’t ever lie! Lying will get you nowhere and only set you up for failure. Be respectful and cooperative while still showing them you can do this job better than everyone else they’re considering.

So, look sharp, be on time, and be yourself. It’s as simple as that. Don’t psych yourself out and ruin a great opportunity. Next time you get a call for an interview, think highly of yourself, walk in with confidence (not cockiness), and I can assure you, you’ll walk out with a job. After all, you only get one chance, so don’t blow it!

Editor: Noel Carlson

Katelyn Kivel is a senior at Western Michigan University studying Public Law with minors in Communications and Women's Studies. Kate took over WMU's branch of Her Campus in large part due to her background in journalism, having spent a year as Production Editor of St. Clair County Community College's Erie Square Gazette. Kate speaks English and Japanese and her WMU involvement includes being a Senator and former Senior Justice of the Western Student Association as well as President of WMU Anime Addicts and former Secretary of WMU's LBGT organization OUTspoken, and she is currently establishing the RSO President's Summit of Western Michigan University, an group composed of student organization presidents for cross-promotion and collaboration purposes. Her interests include reading and writing, both creative and not, as well as the more nerdy fringes of popular culture.