Homework, Class, and the Extra Fifteen Pounds on Your Ass

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WMU chapter.

To eat, or not to eat, that is the question. Right? People everywhere are freaking out about the dreaded “Freshman Fifteen,” and going to extremes like not eating anything, coming up with crazy diet ideas they’re convinced will work, consuming diet pills, exercising unhealthy amounts or acquiring an eating disorder. Most women will do anything not to gain the size up in their jeans. If you are one of many worried about gaining this excess weight, here are some tips to keep yourself in shape.

Being in college, you’re constantly surrounded by ghastly amounts of food, which makes everyone’s eyes grow a little bit wider and their mouths drool slightly more than usual. At first, it’s such a treat! Unlimited ice cream, pizza, chicken and every other kind of greasy food you can imagine are placed on a platter in front of you. It’s almost impossible to escape. Walking through the lobby, the subtle whiff of something fried and delicious wafts up your nose and it’s like you’re being pulled to the cafeteria by a mysterious force. And that, my friends, is the Freshman Fifteen in the making. Be warned: the first five pounds sneak up on you, and by the time you’ve noticed what’s happened, you’re past the point of working out and are pulling out your fat jeans, which in turn become your normal jeans.

I know it’s hard enough dragging your butt out of bed for class, let alone working out. But take advantage of what’s in front of you! You’re already paying for time at the gym, so why waste it? Even if you can only make it to the gym a few times a week or on the weekends, it’s better than nothing. Getting in the habit of working out will help you immensely, especially if you caved and had that extra cookie after dinner. Most colleges offer extra activities to participate in like kick boxing, rock climbing or yoga, so get involved! Finding some kind of sport or activity to get involved in is great; it can relieve stress and keep your body in shape while not even feeling like a work out. Even if a fee is required, most colleges offer discounts to students. So put your headphones on, blast your favorite music and get going!

Another easy solution to avoiding the Freshman Fifteen is to drink water instead of pop. It’s that easy. Drinking a soda every now and then is fine, but having numerous glasses a day is just adding unnecessary sugar and empty calories to your body, and nobody wants that. Drinking so much pop can make you feel lazy and bloated, while water has no calories and hydrates your body, giving you the energy to actually get up to go to the gym! Side note: when you’re walking absolutely everywhere, you’re toning your butt and legs, burning off calories you don’t need. So when you’re walking to class, take the long way or take the stairs instead of the elevator. Don’t be lazy!

You know that gross-looking green stuff next to the food? Yes, that’s called “lettuce;” it’s found in the salad bar. Learn to love it; it will become your best friend. A salad doesn’t have to be disgusting and tasteless. Most salad bars have a wide variety of toppings like chicken, veggies, and dressings. Every once in a while, skip the deep fried foods and go for something green. It will do a world of good, and you’ll feel a lot better about yourself. Try to make your plate as colorful as you can. Don’t be shy with your vegetables and fruits!

Push yourself to have a healthier lifestyle. You don’t need to think up ridiculous diets or resort to eating disorders to avoid weight-gain, just think about what you’re eating! Having a piece of cake every now and then is not going to kill you; just eat in moderation, exercise as much as you can, drink as much water and milk as you can, and I assure you, you will not gain the Freshman Fifteen.

Editor: Noel Carlson

Katelyn Kivel is a senior at Western Michigan University studying Public Law with minors in Communications and Women's Studies. Kate took over WMU's branch of Her Campus in large part due to her background in journalism, having spent a year as Production Editor of St. Clair County Community College's Erie Square Gazette. Kate speaks English and Japanese and her WMU involvement includes being a Senator and former Senior Justice of the Western Student Association as well as President of WMU Anime Addicts and former Secretary of WMU's LBGT organization OUTspoken, and she is currently establishing the RSO President's Summit of Western Michigan University, an group composed of student organization presidents for cross-promotion and collaboration purposes. Her interests include reading and writing, both creative and not, as well as the more nerdy fringes of popular culture.