This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WMU chapter.

The night is silent and all of the lights are off. It’s currently 5:31am, my nose is running, my body is convulsing with chills, it feels like I am swallowing two golf balls that have just been pulled out of a sand pit, and I’m running a fever of 103.2– needless to say, gross details aside, I am very very sick. So all my plans have been canceled for the weekend and my bed is the new fun spot for the next five days. Don’t get me wrong, I am really bummed that my weekend is essentially ruined, but I’m not typically one to complain about a slight cold or the flu leaving me bed ridden for a little while. My biggest complaint however, as I lay in a dire state of what figuratively speaking, feels like death is that I don’t have my mom by my side waiting on me hand and foot to aid me back to recovery!

I don’t care that I am 21 years old and living on my own now. No matter what age I am, 21, 25, 29 , hell even 40, I don’t think that I will ever be fully content living hours away from my parents while I am ill. At this very moment there is nothing I want more than to regress back to my 10 year old self and to be cuddled up in my parents king sized bed, spooning a body pillow as my mom and dad constantly come in a check my temperature, bring me soup, and ask “is there anything else I can get you sweetie?” That’s right, no amount of adulting has prepared me for this exact moment right here.  

But I’m not going to throw myself a pity party! I will instead keep this post short and sweet as I throw on my big girl pants and make and attempt to take care of myself! Things could be much worse, and I know that if I need her, my mom is only a phone call away. I have also been advised that in my state of contagion I should stay in bed and isolate myself as to not contaminate anyone else! Though I feel miserable and wouldn’t wish this feeling on my worst enemy, yet alone my mom, I will heed the doctors warnings, stay in bed drugged up on Day and Nyquil, consume copious amounts of tea with lemon and honey, and binge watch Stranger Things seasons 1 and 2 on Netflix even though, in this moment, I wish nothing more than to be at home, sick.

Fashion Merchandisng and Marketing student at WMU with a passion for all things fashion and beauty. Loves spending time with family and friends, traveling, cooking, and catching up on the lastest social media posts or binge watching Netflix series!
Johanna is the campus correspondent for the WMU chapter and a senior at Western Michigan University. She is studying journalism and political science. She hopes to spend her life writing and influencing the world around her with her words. A member of the Western Michigan University Marching Band, Johanna has been in love with music for as long as she can remember and tries to balance out her busy life between writing and playing music.