Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

WMU Celebrities

Unsung Heroes: Yolonda Lavender; a true campus celebrity

By Sara Czarnecki
October 16, 2013 - 6:38pm

I recently had the pleasure of getting to know Yolonda Lavender. She is a real WMU campus celebrity and in my opinion, a great community leader. Her musical talents, as well as her passion for the community make her a great Western Michigan representative in the streets of Kalamazoo. Yolonda Lavender is studying social work at WMU and has big plans to attend either U of M or the University of Texas-Austin to attain her Masters in Social Work degree. Though academics are very important to Lavender she still makes time to volunteer in the community and really step out and be a great community leader. I was privileged to ask Yolonda some questions, diving into what makes her tick, and what keeps her motivated.     Q: What do you do?...

Zach Gumper

By Morgan Macfarlane
April 26, 2013 - 1:22am

A little about Zach: He is a senior graduating this April with a focus on secondary education with a major in social studies and a minor in history. He is currently the assistant varsity baseball coach at Schoolcraft High School.   Why did you get involved with coaching baseball? READ MORE

Katie DiBiase

By Katie King
April 15, 2013 - 8:00am

READ MORE

Mike Cavanaugh

By Michelle Schmitt
February 19, 2013 - 4:19pm

‘I just want to take a semester off and go backpacking’ is heard so often sometimes on college campuses that it almost sounds cliché. Parents frown and give re-hashed advice about growing up and being responsible, students turn on the news and see violence and danger all around the world, young women hear the phrase ‘but haven’t you seen Taken?’ so many times it makes them wonder if every foreigner is out to kidnap them, and yet somehow there’s still people out there doing it, all over the world. Mike Cavanaugh- a technical sophomore at Western- is one of those people. After his first year at WMU he decided to take a year off and go backpacking in South America, and four months later he’s still alive and well.   ...

Moh'd Khair Albattikhi

By Michelle Schmitt
February 10, 2013 - 6:10pm

Moh’d Khair Albattikhi Hometown: Amman, Jordan Major: MBA ·      Tell me a little about what you do for the university. o   I am a Graduate Assistant for the WMU Marketing department and also for the Management department. I’m also representing the university in the Michigan Clean Energy Venture Challenge (MCEVC). ·      What is the Michigan Clean Energy Michigan Challenge? READ MORE

Sean Nicholl

By Katelyn Kivel
April 7, 2012 - 10:51am

Age: 21
Major: Finance
Minor: Marketing, Economics
Hometown: Addison, MI
Relationship Status: “Single and looking, you can put that down.”

HC: You just won a pretty big election.
Nicholl: I did. The Western Student Association Presidential Election.

HC: What do you plan on doing in the next year as President?
READ MORE

Joe Stando

By Katelyn Kivel
February 23, 2012 - 12:19am

Age: 23
Major: Journalism
Minor: English
Hometown: Ann Arbor, MI
Relationship Status: Single right now.

HC: You’ve been involved recently with the Western Filmmaker’s Association?
Stando: Yeah, I joined this year. I wasn’t involved in the shooting of The Day Job but I helped coordinate the debut. I also just recently finished casting for our TV series project, Schemers.
  READ MORE

Nikki Ledbury

By Katelyn Kivel
November 7, 2011 - 11:59am

Nikki Ledbury Age: 21
Major: Environmental Studies and Africana Studies
Minor: Nonprofit Leadership
Hometown: St. Johns, Michigan
Relationship Status: Single (and lacking a witty follow-up) HC: What are you involved in?
Ledbury: Chairperson of Drive Safe Kalamazoo, DSK’s Senator to the Western Student Association, WSA Speaker pro-tem READ MORE

Liz Wood

By Emily Scott
October 5, 2011 - 11:11am

Age: 20
Major: Music Education
Minor: Nonprofit Leadership
Hometown: Syracuse, NY
Relationship status: I am in a relationship with a wonderful guy. READ MORE

Kelly MacDonald

By Kelsey McCormick
April 17, 2011 - 6:08pm

WMU Campus Celebrity Kelly MacDonald Major: Psychology and Sociology Age: 21 Relationship Status: Single What is on your bedroom walls?
"On one of my walls in my room, is a paitning an old room mate painted for me." Do you remember your dreams?
"I remember nearly ll of my dreams" What is your favorite movie?
"My favorite movie is American beauty because I love the scene with the bag floating and the thought simple things can be beautiful." READ MORE