Broncos Bash Rain or Shine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WMU chapter.

Last Friday, 9 September, no one was going to rain on WMU’s day. Not even actual rain.

Though some booths at the 31st annual Bronco Bash extravaganza did close due to weather, a good number of the nearly four hundred participating organizations braved the rain and served thousands of students with information, free stuff, and great fun.

“Even if the rain doesn’t stop,” remarked WMU’s President John Dunn in his address at the event, “it won’t stop us from having a good time!”

And it certainly didn’t. Right after that speech, between thirty and forty WMU students, under the cerographical direction of HerCampus WMU’s own Emily Scott, unveiled a flash mob intended to encourage participation in any number of Western’s student activities. The mob was a coalition of members from a wide swath of types of involvement at Western that spent about three weeks practicing for the opportunity to captivate and motivate students at Bronco Bash.

“We were going to do it rain or shine,” remarked one participant.

And that was the attitude of attendees and booth operators alike. Even mascots like Gumby and the WMU Goldmen seemed to not be overly bothered by the weather.

The weather actually worked out to the advantage of some booth operators. Certainly those located in Miller’s parking structure received a boon to foot traffic from those seeking shelter from the showers. And with a little ingenuity, so did Gamers’ Guild. By moving their canopy a little forward they created a dry spot in the open plaza, drawing a crowd hoping to wait out the rain.

“Always bring a tent,” remarked self-described Gamers’ Guild “henchman” Andrew Gospel.

According to Gospel, though his organization’s niche appeal didn’t reach out to every student they sheltered from rain, people hiding from the day’s scattered showers almost inevitably asked questions about the organization. Gospel hopes that this year’s membership will benefit greatly from a little rain.

Gospel also reflected on the highlight of tabling for his organization: “People are interesting … my high point was talking to people.”

OUTspoken Treasurer Brandi Hovizi’s highlight resided more with the booths she wasn’t tabling. “It was great to see what other student organizations were up to over the summer,” remarked Hovizi.

Of course, the free stuff was another highlight of Hovizi’s Friday.

In fact, either the free stuff or the rain was the most prevalent feature on most people’s minds in terms of this past Bronco Bash. And while thousands of people attended, and Bronco Bash was a resounding success despite the weather, certainly the weather didn’t help.

Friday ended with a lot of weary, rain-soaked and pleased students. Not a bad day’s work, really. 

Katelyn Kivel is a senior at Western Michigan University studying Public Law with minors in Communications and Women's Studies. Kate took over WMU's branch of Her Campus in large part due to her background in journalism, having spent a year as Production Editor of St. Clair County Community College's Erie Square Gazette. Kate speaks English and Japanese and her WMU involvement includes being a Senator and former Senior Justice of the Western Student Association as well as President of WMU Anime Addicts and former Secretary of WMU's LBGT organization OUTspoken, and she is currently establishing the RSO President's Summit of Western Michigan University, an group composed of student organization presidents for cross-promotion and collaboration purposes. Her interests include reading and writing, both creative and not, as well as the more nerdy fringes of popular culture.