Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

WMU Blog

How to Make Every Year YOUR Year

By Sara Czarnecki
January 6, 2014 - 7:02am

Whether you want to lose weight this upcoming year, quit smoking or may be you want to take steps in living a happier and truer life, all can be made possible through changing your mindset. It is entirely possible to make 2014, or for that matter any year, your year as along as you are willing to keep to your word of making it your year.  Saying you want to have a successful and happy year and actually making the huge life changes in order for that to be accomplished are two completely different things. READ MORE

A Dumpster Lid Taught Me to be Less Superficial

By Hannah Ball
November 5, 2013 - 12:48pm

A few months ago I was hanging out with a few friends, and we decided to walk to 7/11. It was dark out but we had the lights of house parties along the street to brighten the way. I’m around 5’2” and my head was titled up, talking to a taller friend when I rounded the corner and ran face-first into a dumpster lid. The pain on my nose and eyelid lasted around ten seconds and I laughed off the minimal embarrassment. I knew I had a cut on the bridge of my nose, but I wasn’t worried. When we got back to the house, I went to check out the damage in the bathroom mirror. My nose had a little cut but sadly, that wasn’t the worst of it. My eyelashes were gone. A large chunk of my actual, naturally grown eyelashes were missing on my left eyelid....

I am a Survivor.

By Sara Czarnecki
September 30, 2013 - 11:02pm

Four years ago I became another statistic of domestic violence, and not a day goes by that I don’t think about it.   At first glance, I am a bubbly, short, blonde haired 24-year-old college student. I am finishing up my last year at Western Michigan and couldn’t be more excited to start my life. I, like everyone, has their own demons that stress them out, but fuel their need for success. For some it’s their battle with weight, for others it was the mean girls in high school, and for others it’s just the social pressures that keep them on their toes in fear of failure.   READ MORE

Mindy Kaling

By Morgan Macfarlane
September 18, 2013 - 2:43am

Mindy Kaling You’ve seen her on the hit TV show The Office, and in the popular movies The Five-Year Engagement and No Strings Attached. She’s currently starring in her own TV show “The Mindy Project”; she is a successful actress, blogger, writer, producer, author, and director! So what’s not to love about TV’s new funny girl, Mindy Kaling? Mindy was born on June 24th, 1979 in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Her real name is actually Vera Mindy Chokalingam, however Mindy said she was always been called Mindy, according to Guest of a Guest. She also said that she got her name from TV show Mork & Mindy. Mindy claims when she told Robin Williams about how she got her name that he didn’t believe her, according to IMBd. READ...

Praise for Total Divas

By Hannah Ball
September 15, 2013 - 7:14pm

The women of Total Divas, right to left: Brie Bella, Eva Marie, JoJo, Nikki Bella, Ariane, Natalya, and Trinity.  From MotorTrend.com     I’ve been a fan of wrestling and the WWE for about 4 years now, ever since I was clicking through channels and stumbled across a Diva’s match with Gail Kim. I don’t remember who else was in the match, but I became entranced. The moves, story lines, characters, and outfits were easy to fall in love with. My Mondays soon became Monday Night Raws and I watched Smackdown! on Fridays when I could. READ MORE

You can even have a pet squirrel

By Hannah Ball
April 26, 2013 - 12:10am

Imagine a college where standardized testing doesn’t exist. Classes are optional and there’s no pressure to graduate in four years. You get to assign your own homework and create your own personal grading system. Instead of living in dorms where the carpet smells like pee and weed, we’d all live in tree houses. Imagine an institute where your worth isn’t determined by your grades and you wouldn’t have to sign over your soul when you pay tuition. Think about attending a college where freethinking and communication is more important than test-taking abilities. You can have any pets you want, even a squirrel. READ MORE

School is my boyfriend

By Sara Czarnecki
April 22, 2013 - 8:00am

It’s true. I am in a relationship with school. It takes up all my time, like a boyfriend would. It screws me over sometimes, a like a boyfriend would. It has no respect for my personal time, like a boyfriend does. And yet, school makes me want to be something, like a boyfriend would. It makes me want to show off what I have learned in the most positive ways, like a boyfriend would. It makes proud when I have accomplished sometime I thought I could not, like a boyfriend would. School is always there for me when I feel like giving up, like a boyfriend would be. It’s remarkable how an educational institution can be so closely related to the frustrations and love given by a significant other. READ MORE

Keep calm and go natural

By Jessica Rico
April 18, 2013 - 8:00am

All women, and sometimes even men, know how it feels to have a bad hair day. Those days can seem like the most frustrating ones in your life. They can start your day off badly and at times they will become the deciding factor on whether or not you'll go out that night. Personally, I used to think that I had a bad hair life. I would get so discouraged when I couldn't figure out what to do with my hair. So, I started to hate it no matter what I did. I would stare at girls with perfectly long, straight hair and admire how it just hung effortlessly. But it got to the point where I'd even start to admire anyone's hair that was perfectly placed in a ponytail, bun or braid because my hair would never look that put together....

Long Distance Lovin

By Jessica Rico
April 16, 2013 - 8:00am

With help from John Castellano (the long distance boyfriend)   READ MORE

Insta-ettiquite

By Jessica Rico
April 15, 2013 - 8:00am

I will be the first to admit that I may be addicted to Instagram. I without a doubt I check my timeline every day, usually multiple times a day. In my defense, I think it's because I love pictures so much. I know I am not the only one who has a little bit of an obsession with Instagram. It's a great social network to share pictures and an even better social network to allow your friends to know a little more about you. There is still a part of me that is convinced it was made for nosy people who live vicariously through their followers. READ MORE