6 Easy Things to get You Excited for the Holidays!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WMU chapter.

Christmas is just around the corner, but with cramming for final exams and getting ready to go on break you haven’t had much time to get into the holiday spirit. No fear! There are some quick things you can do right now to get you ready for Christmas!

1. Get a holiday themed drink! Biggby and Starbucks both have their special holiday drinks ready. Stop by and pick up a peppermint mocha to get you excited for Christmas.
  1. Go Christmas shopping! Grab your friends and hit the mall because you have presents to buy! Create a list before you go, brainstorm gift ideas for everyone on your list. Remember, you don’t have to buy store gifts; you can always make your own!
  1. Wear an ugly sweater. A couple of years ago the ugly sweater trend caught on. Since then ugly sweaters have been all the rage. Pull out your favorite ugly sweater, wearing it will put you in the mood for Christmas!
  1. Have a Christmas movie night! Gather your friends for a long night of your favorite Christmas movies, like National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation, The Polar Express, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, The Santa Clause Trilogy, and let’s not forget A Christmas Story! Don’t forget to have someone bring eggnog and Christmas cookies!
  1. Volunteer your time to make someone’s Christmas rock! There are so many volunteer opportunities during this season! Salvation Army is looking for bell ringers, or you could participate in an Angel Tree project, where you shop for a gift for child. There are so many different opportunities out there, to find more you can check the Volunteer Kalamazoo page: http://volunteerkalamazoo.org/.
  1. Go ice-skating. Public ice-skating at Wings Stadium cost $8 and $3 for shoe rental. Their times are: Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday 11:30 a.m.- 1:30 p.m. and Friday 8:30 p.m.-10:30 p.m. and Sunday 12:00 p.m.-1:45 p.m. Ice-skating is lots of fun and easy even for beginners!

There are so many ways to get in the holiday spirit, whether it’s at school or when you get home for the holidays! Remember, to have fun and enjoy the holiday season, it only comes once a year!

I am a sophmore at Western Michigan University. I'm double majoring in political science and enviromental studies, and double minoring in gender and women's studies and journalism.I love's reading the newspaper, I'm a self-proclaimed news junkie. I also love volunteering, spending time with my friends. In my rare free time I love to watch movies and televison shows a season at a time. I comedies, espically British comedies, the dryer the better! I also love spending time out side, whether it's camping, hiking, or just enjoying our world's natural beauty.My future plans include saving the earth from climate change and ensuring women's equality, well those are my long time goals anyway. After college I plan to work as a legislative aid or a political reporter. I currently serve as Her Campus WMU's senator in the Western Student Association. I also work as a reporter at my home town newspaper, The South County News.To my friends I'm known as the poltical coffee addicted shoeaholic feminist, but you can call me Morgan. Follow me on Twitter: @macfarlane_mOr email me: morgan.k.macfarlane@wmich.edu 
I always find self-written bios to be kind of awkward, but throwing modesty out the window, here goes nothing: Hi, my birth name is Sara but I feel as though most of Kalamazoo knows me as Hollywood, which has been my nickname for several years now. The nickname was given to me when I played rugby for WMU, and it just stuck. This is a chance to set aside my ultra ego, and dive into the opinions and thoughts of Sara rather than the outrageous, unbelievable adventures of Hollywood. A little about me: I am studying Communication Studies and Nonprofit Leadership at Western Michigan. I think I'm almost done, but with college, who actually knows. My ultimate goal would be to have my own column in a women's health magazine that talks about nutrition, exercise, and maintaining a positive outlook on life as a woman. But if that doesn't pan out, I figure I would own my own hotdog stand, so I got options. Unlike most people, I love running and exercising. A few years back I had something devastating happen to me, and the way that I found happiness again was through a healthy diet, learning about nutrition, and working out. I completed two triathlons this summer, and in one of them I placed in the top 10 for the 29 and below age group. Now that I have conquered the triathlon, I don't know what's next off my bucket list that I want to conquer. (May be Brazil??) I am not a 'down-to-earth' person, rather, I like a busy life and I like being involved whether it be getting involved in volunteering or just trolling around Kalamazoo with my friends. I'm always on the go and I like it that way. But as of now, I'm just a twenty-something girl with a zest for adventure with an empty wallet who is making due with exploring all what Kalamazoo has to offer. If you see me out, I'll be the girl with red shoes and a mustache tattooed on her finger. I usually refer to myself as not the girl next door, but the girl two doors down; I have a little more life lessons under my belt and a different outlook on life. http://theblacksheeponline.com/author/sara-czarnecki twitter: @sarasuzieczar