The A-Z’s of William & Mary

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Image courtesy of Wikimedia 

Alma Mater

There’s no denying it – it’s a banger. Every occasion is made better by belting out “hark upon the gale,” even if no one’s quite sure what it means.

Image from Giphy

Bio 220

May the odds be ever in your favor.

Convocation

Convocation is one of William & Mary’s biggest traditions, and a great day for upperclassmen and freshmen alike.

Dining Dollars

No matter how hard you try to ration them, there will never be enough.

Image from Giphy

Exams

As exhausting as they are, exams are a big part of life at William & Mary. Somehow all your  classes manage to schedule them for the same week, every semester, without fail.

Flat Hat

The Flat Hat is undeniably the best source for all your campus news.

Gordo

The love of all our lives, and the only one who can keep you going during finals week.

Image from Giphy

Honor Society Emails

A newfound Twamp problem – has anyone actually created an Honor Society account? This mystery remains unsolved.

ISC

Let’s face it – if you’re in here, you’re probably lost. STEM majors are the only ones smart enough to figure out this maze.

Jefferson

Our most famous alumni, and undoubtedly the one most frequently referenced on tours.

Kaplan Arena

Home to the W&M basketball team, and Charter Day ceremonies!

Library

(Yes, this should probably be under S, but I needed somewhere to put the Sunky G’s.) Regardless, Swem is a place where every Twamp will spend many long hours – pick up a coffee from Swemromas to make the experience more fun!

Image from Wikimedia 

Matoaka

Whether it’s watching a cappella shows at the amphitheatre or kayaking on the lake, Matoaka is one of the most beautiful spots on campus.

Nova

AKA home to nearly our entire student body.

Orientation

It will be your busiest week at W&M, but one of the best – orientation is the place to make lifelong friends.

Puddles

Rain boots are an absolute staple of life at William & Mary. With the humidity and rainstorms, the swamp quickly fills with puddles and mud on drizzly weeks.

Image from Giphy

QDoba

See dining dollars above (you probably spent them all here). At least guac isn’t extra!

Registration

Truly the most stressful day on campus. Banner will inevitably crash, and you’ll be lucky to get into those popular classes!

Sunky G’s

The best place to read, take a nap, or toss around a frisbee on a nice day.

Image from Wikimedia 

Terrace

The hottest study spot on sunny days. Good luck finding a table!

UVA

As the biggest rival of Green and Gold, Twamps are unified by a hatred of everything UVA.

VA Public Ivy

William & Mary will always hold its reputation as one of the best public schools in Virginia – public ivy is a title no one can take from us.

Wawa

AKA Twamp life-blood, and where your last paycheck disappeared to.

Image from Giphy

Student X-Change

Need a pint of Ben and Jerry’s to get you through your late night cramming? The Student X-Change has got you covered.

Yule Log Ceremony

One of W&M’s many great traditions, Yule Log is a fun occasion to take away some of the stress of finals week and get into the holiday spirit.

Zable Stadium

Known as the home to Tribe football games (or the dogs catching frisbees halftime show, if you’re like me).

Thumbnail image courtesy of Wikimedia 

Sarah Shevenock is a graduate of The College of William and Mary, where she served as a staff writer and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus William and Mary. Currently, she is a National Contributing Writer and Entertainment Blogger. In her free time, she enjoys reading voraciously, watching morning news programs, and keeping up with the latest television and movie news. She loves to talk about anything and everything related to theatre, cheer for her beloved Pittsburgh Penguins, and drink fancy coffee.