Williamsburg Weather as Told by a Senior

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Throughout the year, Williamsburg gets rain after rain after rain but it’s mostly during the time we’re on campus for classes. If you’re unaware of this unfortunate weather, you get to go to W&M completely unprepared. I didn’t even have an umbrella or raincoat, let alone a cute pair of rain boots. My first day that this campus was graced with rain was in the middle of Freshman Orientation. We were outside. It was night time. I was having to huddle from person to person who actually thought to bring an umbrella. We were also blessed with rain during our convocation for freshman and incoming transfers. That year I bought an umbrella, but I really wanted a pair of rain boots, but had no luck finding some at the stores I looked at, that actually fit, and didn’t cost and arm and a leg.

Source

Sophomore year came and I was armed with my umbrella. Still no rain boots. But this year, I started anticipating weather, so that I could remember to bring my umbrella with me. If there was a chance during the day for rain, I would have it in my backpack. What sucked is the bottom six inches of my pants getting soaked from walking around while it was raining. And this had nothing to do with Williamsburg getting over an inch of rain. Being short and therefore having pants extend longer than my legs was the cause of this problem. Then the rain comes, the bottom edges touch the ground, and osmosis happens.

It was Junior year. Over the summer I had vowed to buy myself rain boots. I got distracted and it didn’t happen. When I arrived on campus for move in, it was supposed to rain at any moment. Luckily, though, it didn’t rain until after we got everything into my Ludwell Apartment. However, living a good walking distance away from everything that is not Morton or the Business School, and being the forgetful person I am, there were many days where I had to trek from Old Campus to Ludwell, in the rain, without an umbrella (or even any rain boots). As much as I wanted a pair, I didn’t put in any real effort into buying any or even finding any to buy. And when I did find a pair, I never had my money on me and it would get forgotten about, as usual. It became a never-ending cycle.

Senior year happened upon me in a blink of an eye, and yet, still no rain boots despite having three-ish/four-ish months off for the summer. We have had “Hurricane” Hermi(o)ne and whatever storm the rain was from this last week. Most rainy days, I was able to make the decision to just stay inside. As of yet, there haven’t been a day where I came back drenched *knocks on wood* *crosses fingers*. At this point, however, I am unaware if I will be staying in Williamsburg, so a pair of rain boots probably isn’t even worth it now. But that won’t stop me from looking wherever I go and hoping that I have the money for them.

Source