What NOT to Wear to Busch Gardens Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

2014’s Annual Busch Gardens Day is Friday, September 26th and W&M students couldn’t be more excited about it! In order to have a fun time, however, you won’t want to be fussing with your clothes or regretting your outfit choice because your feet hurt / your shirt gets snagged or dirty / your i.d. and phone fall out of your pocket at the top of the Griffin (don’t think it can’t happen to you!). Here are some useful tips on what NOT to wear and what TO wear for this year’s Howl-O-Scream.

A Dress / A Skirt

When you’re on a roller coaster, you’re basically flying through the air. The one thing you don’t want to wear in that situation is something that will fly up easily, such as, you guessed it, a dress or a skirt. Jeans are your best option; the temperature will range from the low 60’s to mid 70’s, so no need for shorts. Bringing a jacket isn’t a bad idea, however you won’t want to carry anything bulky around with you. This is where the flannel shirt comes in. Tie it around your waist so that you can have it out of your way during the day and you can throw it on at night when it gets chilly (which it definitely will). A flannel is also a great excuse to wear leggings, as tying it around your waist will cover your butt: now your leggings are public-appropriate! 

Anything New / Anything that Easily Snags

Obviously there are lots of screws and handles and whatnot on rides, not to mention the infinite number of things that will jump out at you inside the haunted houses (this is Howl-O-Scream, after all). The last thing you want to wear is something that will snag easily, such as a sweater or a lace shirt. Wearing your new favorite shirt isn’t such a great idea either; those roller coaster seats aren’t the cleanest, and you wouldn’t want to mess up a piece that you love (and just got).

Heels / Flats

It’s fairly obvious that wearing heels to an amusement park isn’t the best idea, but wearing flats isn’t either. After walking a lot in flats, the heels of your feet are going to be killing you, because of the lack of support that flats provide. They’re also great contenders for slipping off of your feet on rides, as well as for getting torn up and scratched from all the walking and climbing in and out of rides. Choose something instead with a bit of support on the bottom, and make sure that the shoes you choose will stay securely on your feet. High top Converse or slip-ons (pick ones that hug your feet nicely, otherwise they’ll be slip-offs!) are great choices. Heeled booties probably won’t be the most comfortable at the end of the day, but if you’re really set on looking cute, make sure your boot has a secure closure, such as a buckle or laces (and a rubber sole wouldn’t hurt, either).

Belongings in Pocket / Big Handbag

Don’t keep your phone and keys in your pocket: carry a small crossbody bag to maintain their security. You’re less likely to get pick pocketed, you can keep your bag on you during rides (if it’s small enough, this is a super useful tip!), and you’ll never have to worry about your belongings getting stolen while you’re on a ride (if you’ve placed it in a cubby or on a table with other riders’ bags).