Trendspotting at W&M: Chambray Shirts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Chambray shirts are a staple in any girl’s closet. On the William & Mary campus, they’re everywhere. From just getting out of the gym to heading to class in a polished outfit, a good chambray shirt can take you from street to chic. Read on to discover the many ways Tribe girls wear their favorite denim piece.

Chambrays are the key to making a maxi skirt look just the right amount of chic. Tied at the waist with a cobalt blue maxi skirt, a chambray completely pulls the look together. Paired with a black and white maxi skirt, a chambray shirt can be casual and summery, while still looking sassy. For a look even more fierce, I’ve spotted a chambray tucked into a black and white horizontal striped skirt, worn with black ankle booties and a statement necklace tucked under the collar of the shirt. 

Credit (clockwise from top left): 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

Chambray shirts are usually a lighter wash, and look great paired with bright colors. Try wearing yours over a white tank, paired with a red, white, and blue skirt, and match it to a pair of taupe crochet combat boots worn with white knit socks. To wear just a pop of color with your chambray, try a pink infinity scarf worn with black shorts, a white top, and rose gold oxfords. Metallics like that look phenomenal paired with denim shirts! Just add white cutoff shorts and your chambray to dress down a sparkly cropped tank. 

For more polished ways to wear your favorite chambray shirt, try out some of these looks I’ve spotted on campus. A kelly green and navy skirt looks super professional paired with a chambray and nude flats. Wearing a little black dress? A chambray goes great with that, too! Tie it at the waist and pair it with gold bangles and cork flats with an orange cap toe. A beige lace skirt is a great option to wear with a dark wash chambray, and paired with a striped scarf, your outfit has all the elements of a trendsetting look.

For fun summer looks, pair a dark wash chambray with an orange lace dress, or throw on your favorite floral dress with a pair of brown strappy sandals. Floral pants and yellow sneakers refresh an oversized dark wash chambray for class. To keep wearing your chambray into the fall, pair it with brown combat boots and a brown and coral tribal print flowy dress. In the colder months, W&M students love to wear theirs with leggings. Black leggings, brown riding boots, an oversized medium wash chambray shirt, and a coral scarf make for the perfect dinner-at-the-Caf outfit. A navy puffer vest gets refreshed when worn over a dark wash chambray and light pink jeans. If you’re looking to impress, try out this outfit I’ve spotted on campus: olive green ankle pants worn with a navy utility jacket over a chambray shirt, paired with leopard flats.

Cover Photo Credit (clockwise from top left): 1 | 2 | 3 | 4